Feb. 22, 2009
Game Notes: Mississippi State at Tennessee
- Today's starters: Angie Bjorklund, Kelley Cain, Alex Fuller, Glory Johnson and Shekinna Stricklen.
- Redshirt-sophomore Cait McMahan has decided to not play the rest of the season, accepting a role as a student assistant coach and will remain on the sidelines.
- With McMahan having decided to not play the rest of the season, Fuller has chosen to honor her teammate by wearing No. 2.
- Four Lady Vols scored in double digits: Cain (17), Fuller (14), Stricklen (14) and Alyssia Brewer (10).
- Cain recorded her second career double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds. Both are career highs.
- Mississippi State did not score for the first 3:37 of the game.
- After making only 1-of-14 three-pointers on Thursday, UT made its first 3 threes today.
- The first half saw nine lead changes and four ties.
- Tennessee trailed at the half for the sixth time this season. In those games, UT is 2-4.
- The Lady Vols held State without a field goal from the 6:58 mark of the second half to the 0:31 point, going on a 17-1 run to open a 79-65 lead.
- The 51.8 shooting percentage is a season-high for Tennessee.
- UT's 11 blocked shots are a season high.
- The Lady Vols owned a rebounding advantage, 48-31, for the 21st time this season.
- Tennessee scored 80 points for the eighth time this season. In those games, UT owns a 7-1 record.
- Today's crowd of 15,838 was the fourth largest crowd of the season.
- The Lady Vols made a three-pointer for the 367th consecutive game.
- The Lady Vols have shot an average of 22.5 free throws per game, making 66.6 percent. Tonight they shot 30, making 21.
The win tonight...
- Improves UT to 30-0 all-time against Mississippi State, including a 13-0 record in Knoxville.
- Mississippi State remains the only team in the SEC that has never beaten Tennessee.
- Gives UT a 406-63 record against SEC foes and a 278-38 mark in league play.
- Gives the Lady Vols a 12-2 record at home this season.
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 1,002-190 (.841) all time.
- The Lady Vols are back on the road for their final SEC road game of the season. UT travels to Baton Rouge for a Thursday night match-up with the Tigers. Game time is set for 9 p.m. ET and will be aired on Fox Sports Net South.
Freshman Alyssia Brewer:
- Scored double-digits for the seventh time this season, but the first since Jan. 22 at Arkansas.
Freshman Kelley Cain:
- Had today's first basket - a jumper in the paint at the 19:47 mark
- Recorded her second career double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds
- The 17 points and 11 rebounds are both career highs
- She records a career high in points for the second consecutive game (had 16 at Kentucky)
Freshman Shekinna Stricklen:
- Scored in double figures for the 16th time this season, but the first time since Feb. 2 at Oklahoma
Senior Alex Fuller:
- Scored in double figures for the ninth time this season
- Will wear No. 2 for the rest of the season in honor of teammate Cait McMahan, who has decided to take on a student assistant role for the rest of the season