March 5, 2006
Team Records and Series Notes
- With the win, Tennessee improves to 28-4, while LSU drops to 27-3 with the loss. The Lady Volunteers pick up their 12th SEC Tournament title.
- The Lady Vols improved to 12-5 all-time in SEC Tournament final games.
- LSU still trails Tennessee in the all-time series between the two teams 34-9, including a 1-3 record in championship meetings and a 6-3 record in SEC Tournament games.
- The Lady Tigers are 22-25 all-time in SEC Tournament action.
- Session six attendance: 8,255
- Overall tournament attendance: 37,033
Tennessee Game Notes
- SEC Tournament Most Valuable Player selection Candace Parker scored 20 points on 7-of-17 shooting from the field. Parker also snagged six rebounds in the winning effort.
- First team All-SEC selection Shanna Zolman notched 14 points on 4-of-7 shooting from three-point range. Zolman added to her Tennessee record 86 single-season three-pointers. She also handed out a team-high eight assists.
- Junior Tennessee forward Sidney Spencer tied a career-high with 21 points to complement eight rebounds. Spencer hit a new career-best eight field goals (8-of-16).
- Spencer also tied a career-high with five three-pointers (5-of-7) against the Lady Tigers.
- Lady Vols sophomore Nicky Anosike grabbed a team-high 11 rebounds.
- Tennessee won the rebounding battle 40-31. The Lady Vols have out-rebounded their opponents in 27 of 32 contests this season.
LSU Game Notes
- SEC player-of-the-year selection Seimone Augustus scored 24 points and grabbed seven rebounds for the Lady Tigers.
- Augustus has recorded double-figure points in 92 consecutive games and in an NCAA record tying 127 career games. She needs to accomplish the feat in one more game to move ahead of Jackie Stiles and Alana Beard as the all-time NCAA leader in double-figure games.
- Augustus tied the SEC Tournament record for made field-goals. Her 35 field-goals in the tournament tie her with Bridgette Gordon (UT, 1988). She has now scored an amazing 185 points in 11 career SEC Tournament games.
- First team All-SEC selection Sylvia Fowles set a new career-high with seven blocked shots against the Lady Vols. Fowles recorded her 21st double-double and the 33rd of her career with a 16 point 12 rebound outing.
- Lady Tigers guard Erica White dished out eight assists to go with seven points
- Four LSU players played a complete 40 minutes.
- Augustus and Fowles led LSU out of the gate scoring 21 of the Lady Tigers first 25 points.