March 5, 2009
- Today's starters: Angie Bjorklund, Kelley Cain, Alex Fuller, Sydney Smallbone and Shekinna Stricklen.
- Redshirt-sophomore Cait McMahan has decided to not play the rest of the season, accepting a role as a student assistant coach and will remain on the sidelines.
- With McMahan having decided to not play the rest of the season, Fuller has chosen to honor her teammate by wearing No. 2.
- Redshirt-freshman Kelley Cain tied the UT freshman record for blocks in a game with seven. Candace Parker had seven against Michigan State on Nov. 24, 2005.
- Three Lady Vols scored in double figures: Stricklen (16), Cain (12) and Johnson (11).
- Alabama began the game on a 9-2 run to the 14:50 mark.
- A pair of Glory Johnson free throws at the 5:23 mark of the first half gave UT its first lead at 21-20.
- UT's largest lead of the first half was five with 0:57 remaining; its largest deficit was seven at the 17:56 mark.
- Tennessee trailed at the half for the ninth time this season. In those games, UT is 4-5.
- The Lady Vols opened the second half on a 12-0 run to the 15:05 mark, opening a 42-31 lead.
- The Lady Vols made a three-pointer for the 370th consecutive game.
- The Lady Vols have shot an average of 22.3 free throws per game, making 66.5 percent. Tonight they shot 19, making 10.
The win tonight...
- Improves the Lady Vols to 2-0 all-time in SEC Tournament First Round games.
- Improves UT to 42-2 all-time against Alabama.
- Extends Tennessee's winning streak to 35 consecutive games over the Crimson Tide.
- Gives UT a 408-64 record against SEC foes and a 59-16 mark in tournament action.
- Improves the Lady Vols to 14-9 in TV games this season.
- Gives the Lady Vols 1-0 record on neutral courts this season.
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 1,004-191 (.840) all time.
- The Lady Vols will face fourth-seeded Florida in the SEC Tournament Second Round. Game time is set for 6:30 p.m. CT at Alltel Arena in North Little Rock, Ark., and will air on SEC regional networks.
Freshman Kelley Cain:
- Tied the Lady Vol freshman record for blocks in a game with seven. Candace Parker had seven against Michigan State on Nov. 24, 2005. The seven blocks are one off both the UT school record and SEC Tournament record.
- Had the Lady Vols' first basket of the game - a jumper at the 19:12 mark of the first half
- Scored in double figures with 12 points for the sixth consecutive game and the 10th time this season she has finished in double figures
Freshman Glory Johnson:
- Made a pair of free throws at the 5:23 mark of the first half to give UT its first lead at 21-20
- Finished in double figures with 11 points for the first since scoring 20 against Georgia on Feb. 5
Freshman Shekinna Stricklen:
- Scored in double figures with 16 points for the fourth straight game and the 19th time this season
- Scored 14 of her 16 points in the second half
- Also dished seven assists
Senior Alex Fuller:
- Will wear No. 2 for the rest of the season in honor of teammate Cait McMahan, who has decided to take on a student assistant role for the rest of the season