March 7, 2009
Game Notes: Auburn vs. Tennesse - SEC Semifinals
- Today's starters: Angie Bjorklund, Kelley Cain, Alex Fuller, Glory Johnson and Shekinna Stricklen.
- Redshirt-sophomore Cait McMahan has decided to not play the rest of the season, accepting a role as a student assistant coach and will remain on the sidelines.
- With McMahan having decided to not play the rest of the season, Fuller has chosen to honor her teammate by wearing No. 2.
- Two Lady Vols scored in double figures: Bjorklund (17) and Brewer (11).
- Freshman Alyssia Brewer notched her second career double-double with 11 points and a career-best 15 rebounds.
- Tennessee used a 10-3 run from 7:25 of the first half to 2:41 to build a 27-22 lead.
- Tennessee led at the half for the 20th time this season. In those games, UT is 17-3.
- Auburn opened the second half with a 19-2 run to the 12:47 mark, taking a 45-33 lead.
- The last team to beat the Lady Vols twice in one season was the Connecticut Huskies in 2003-04. UConn won the regular season match-up and the national championship game.
- The Lady Vols made a three-pointer for the 372nd consecutive game.
- The Lady Vols have shot an average of 22.2 free throws per game, making 66.1 percent. Tonight they shot 11, making seven.
The loss tonight...
- Drops the Lady Vols to 18-8 all-time in SEC Tournament semifinal games.
- Drops UT to 32-10 all-time against Auburn and an 8-4 mark on neutral courts.
- Gives the Lady Vols a 9-4 record against Auburn in the SEC Tournament.
- Gives UT a 409-65 record against SEC foes and a 60-17 mark in SEC tournament action.
- Drops the Lady Vols to 4-8 against ranked foes this season.
- Drops the Lady Vols to 15-10 in TV games this season.
- Gives the Lady Vols 2-1 record on neutral courts this season.
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 1,005-192 (.840) all time.
- The Lady Vols will return to Knoxville and await the announcement of the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament bracket on Monday, March 16.
Freshman Alyssia Brewer:
- Recorded her second career double-double with 11 points and 15 rebounds
- The 15 rebounds are a career-high
- Had 10 boards and nine points in the first half
Freshman Kelley Cain:
- Left the game at the 18:25 mark of the first half, but returned to start the second half
Freshman Glory Johnson:
- Returned to the starting lineup for the first time since starting at LSU on Feb. 26
- Made the first basket of the game - a jumper at the 19:07 mark
Sophomore Angie Bjorklund:
- Finished with 17 points, the 16th time this season and the 29th time in her career she has scored in double figures
Senior Alex Fuller:
- Will wear No. 2 for the rest of the season in honor of teammate Cait McMahan, who has decided to take on a student assistant role for the rest of the season