March 23, 2009
Tennessee Game Notes: Ball State vs. Tennessee, NCAA Tournament Round 1
- Today's starters: Angie Bjorklund, Kelley Cain, Alex Fuller, Glory Johnson and Shekinna Stricklen.
- Redshirt-sophomore Cait McMahan has decided to not play the rest of the season, accepting a role as a student assistant coach and will remain on the sidelines.
- With McMahan having decided to not play the rest of the season, Fuller has chosen to honor her teammate by wearing No. 2.
- Three Lady Vols scored in double figures: Stricklen (17), Bjorklund (14) and Cain (10).
- Redshirt Freshman Kelley Cain had eight of UT's first 16 points, but came out of the game at the 4:27 mark of the first half with pain in her right knee.
- The first half saw seven lead changes and three ties. UT's largest first half lead was five at 16:51 and its largest deficit was three at 6:22.
- Tennessee trailed at the half for the 10th time this season. In those games, UT is 4-6.
- Ball State, as a 12 seed, is the lowest seed to ever beat Tennessee in the NCAA Tournament.
- The 16 point loss ties for UT's fifth worst in the NCAA tournament.
- The Lady Vols made a three-pointer for the 373rd consecutive game.
- The Lady Vols have shot an average of 21.8 free throws per game, making 66.1 percent. Tonight they shot 11, making seven.
The loss tonight...
- Marks the first time Tennessee has ever lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament and the first time UT has not made the Sweet 16.
- End's a 12-game NCAA Tournament winning streak.
- Drops Tennessee to 21-1 all-time in NCAA first round games.
- Drops Tennessee to 104-20 in NCAA tournament games.
- Gives the Lady Vols a 5-2 record at Western Kentucky's E.A. Diddle Arena, including a 2-2 mark in NCAA tournament action. The only previous loss was a 63-60 loss to Ole Miss in the 1985 Sweet 16.
- Gives the Lady Vols an 11-1 record against teams from the Mid-American Conference.
- Drops the Lady Vols to 15-11 in TV games this season.
- Gives the Lady Vols 2-2 record on neutral courts this season.
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 1,005-193 (.840) all time.
Freshman Alyssia Brewer:
- Grabbed 10 rebounds, the third time this season she has pulled down double digit boards
Freshman Kelley Cain:
- Had the first basket of the game - a layup at the 19:37 mark of the first half
- Had eight of UT's first 16 points
- Came out of the game at the 4:27 mark of the first half with pain in her right knee
- Finished with 10 points and eight rebounds
- It is the 12th time this season she scored in double digits
Freshman Shekinna Stricklen:
- Finished with 17 points, the 21st time this season she has scored in double figures
Sophomore Angie Bjorklund:
- Finished with 14 points, the 16th time this season and the 29th time in her career she has finished in double digits
Senior Alex Fuller:
- Moved into a tie for 10th place on UT's all-time games played list with 139
- Tied a career high with five assists
- Will wear No. 2 for the rest of the season in honor of teammate Cait McMahan, who has decided to take on a student assistant role for the rest of the season