Nov. 9, 2008
Game Notes: Love & Basketball (Exhibition #2)
- Three Lady Vols did not play in today's game. Redshirt-sophomore Cait McMahan sat out to rest her knees before Saturday's season-opener. Sophomore Angie Bjorklund sat out with back spasms and sophomore Vicki Baugh is out as a suspension for missing class.
- Today's starting five for the Lady Vols was freshman Glory Johnson, freshman Shekinna Stricklen, redshirt-freshman Kelley Cain, sophomore Sydney Smallbone and senior Alex Fuller.
- Five Lady Vols finished the game in double figures: Shekinna Stricklen (16), Sydney Smallbone (12), Kelley Cain (12), Amber Gray (10) and Alyssia Brewer (11).
- Cain added 10 rebounds to give her a double-double.
- Brewer pulled down 11 boards for her second double-double in as many games.
- The Lady Vols started off slow, trailing 9-8 at the 13:15 mark. From that point, UT went on a 34-4 run to end the half.
- All nine Lady Vols who were available for the game played in the first half.
- Leading the Lady Vols in the first half was freshman Shekinna Stricklen with eight points and four assists. Freshman Alyssia Brewer added eight points in the first half and grabbed four rebounds.
- After shooting 51.0% (25-of-49) from the free throw line against Carson-Newman, the Lady Vols shot 61.9% (13-of-21) today.
- The Lady Vols forced 24 Love & Basketball turnovers today and turned them into 25 points.
- Senior Alex Fuller left the game at the 16:53 mark of the second half and did not return.
- For next Saturday's season-opener against the San Francisco Dons, fans can bring FM receivers to the arena and tune into 99.3 to hear the voice of the Lady Vols, Mickey Dearstone, call the action live.
Freshman Alyssia Brewer:
Scored the first Lady Vol basket of the game at the 17:13 mark of the first half on a layup.
Finished with 11 points and 11 rebounds for a double-double.
Freshman Glory Johnson:
After a 33 point, 14 rebound performance against Carson-Newman, Johnson finished with nine points and eight rebounds today.
Freshman Shekinna Stricklen:
Stricklen finished in double figures for the second game in a row, tallying 16 points to go with three rebounds and five assists.
Redshirt Freshman Kelley Cain:
Scored 12 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to give her a double-double.
Sophomore Sydney Smallbone:
Was 3-of-5 from the field in the first half; Against Carson-Newman, she was 2-of-8 for the game.