Nov. 23, 2008
Game Notes: Louisiana Tech vs Tennessee
- This was the 41st and final regular-season scheduled contest between the two schools. Tennessee now holds a 24-17 advantage.
- Redshirt freshman Kelley Cain did not play while still recovering from a knock to the head. Sophomore Angie Bjorklund did not play while resting her back.
- Today's starters: Shekinna Stricklen, Glory Johnson, Alex Fuller, Vicki Baugh, Cait McMahan. Starting the second half were Stricklen, Fuller, Johnson, Baugh and Sydney Smallbone.
- Four Lady Vols finished in double-figures, led by Amber Gray and Alyssia Brewer's 16 points each.
- The Lady Vols never trailed against La. Tech.
- This marks the 344th consecutive game with at least one three-pointer for Tennessee.
- The last time UT scored 90 points in a game was March 23, 2008, against Oral Roberts. The final of that game was 94-55.
- The previous largest margin of victory in this series was 34 in a 94-60 UT win on Dec. 22, 1993 at Thompson-Boling Arena.
- The Lady Vols went on a 13-0 run midway through the first half to extend their lead to 34-19. Over that stretch the Lady Techsters were held scoreless for 3:35. The 15-point margin at the 5:10 mark was UT's largest lead of the first half.
- The Lady Techsters used a 9-0 run right before half to cut the lead down to 38-33, before a pair of Alyssia Brewer free throws made the halftime score, 40-33.
- UT opened the second half on a 9-1 run to make the score, 49-34.
- The Lady Vols outscored the Lady Techsters 54-26 in the second half.
- The Lady Vols forced 28 Lady Techster turnovers and turned them into 34 points on the offensive end.
- The Lady Vols allowed a season-high 50 rebounds grabbed by La Tech.
- The previous 10 UT wins in the series were by an average of 18.2 points, with the largest being a 60-35 win on Dec. 4, 2002, in Ruston, La., as the Lady Vols were ranked No. 4 and the Lady Techsters were No. 15
- This is the Lady Vols ninth straight win in the series, matching the longest winning-streak by either team. La. Tech won nine straight from Dec. 15, 1980 to Feb. 9, 1987.
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 986-183 (.844) all time, just 14 wins from 1,000.
- The Lady Vols will return to Thompson-Boling Arena on Tuesday night when former Lady Vol Kellie Jolly-Harper brings her Western Carolina Catamounts to Knoxville. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.
Freshman Shekinna Stricklen:
- First points of the game came on a pair of free throws at 6:21. After a La. Tech turnover, made a layup off the inbounds and was fouled. She converted the free throw to give herself five quick points and extend the lead to 31-19.
- Picked up her fourth foul early in the second half and sat for most of the period on the bench
Freshman Glory Johnson:
- Had today's first basket - a jumper from 15 feet at the 19:40 mark
- Finished in double-figures for the fourth straight game with 12 points
Freshman Alyssia Brewer:
- Missed her first free throw of the season at the 12:02 mark of the first half, previously was 4-of-4
- Scored a season-high 16 points and grabbed a season-high 12 rebounds for her first career double-double
Freshman Amber Gray:
- Made her first three of the season at the 7:33 mark of the first half and made a jumper nine seconds later to put UT up 26-19
- Finished with season-highs of 16 points and seven rebounds
Sophomore Vicki Baugh:
- Had seven of the Lady Vols first nine points
- By the first media timeout, Baugh had seven points, five rebounds and a block
- She finished the first half with 11 points, eight rebounds, three blocks, an assist and a steal in 12 minutes.
- Posted a double-double with a career-high 13 points and a season-high 12 rebounds
Senior Alex Fuller:
- Finished with a season-high six points