Nov. 25, 2008
Game Notes: Western Carolina vs. Tennessee
- Did not play (reason): Kelley Cain (head), Angie Bjorklund (back), Alicia Manning (head)
- Today's starters: Glory Johnson, Alex Fuller, Shekinna Stricklen, Vicki Baugh, Cait McMahan.
- Four Lady Vols finished in double figures: Glory Johnson (19), Shekinna Stricklen (13), Vicki Baugh (11) and Briana Bass (10).
- Tennessee made its first 10 free throws.
- The first 10 minutes saw a 7-1 UT run, a 6-0 WCU run, a 6-0 UT run and a 7-2 WCU run. From the 9:26 mark until the half, UT outscored WCU 21-7.
- The largest Lady Vol lead of the first half was 23 with 14 seconds left and the largest Lady Catamount lead was 1 at 9:52.
- The 23 point halftime lead was the largest for UT this season.
- UT was scoreless from 14:06 until 9:43, a span of 4:23. WCU was scoreless for the final 3:15 of the first half.
- The 49 points were the most by Tennessee in the first half this season and the most since scoring 49 in the first half against Alabama on Feb. 21, 2008. At halftime of that game, UT led 49-29 and won 85-58 in Tuscaloosa.
- The first half had two ties and four lead changes on four straight possessions.
- Western Carolina didn't hit its first second half field goal until the 16:27 mark - a total span of 7:48. Tennessee went on a 16-0 run in that span.
- The Lady Vols outscored the Lady Catamounts 34-30 in the second half.
- Through the first four games, the Lady Vols shot an average of 29.75 free throws per game, making 66.4 percent. Tonight they shot 27, making 23 for 85.2 percent.
- UT grabbed a season-high 15 steals.
- This is the 17th meeting overall between Tennessee and Western Carolina, with UT holding a 10-7 lead. This is the second meeting between coaches Summitt and Harper. The Lady Vols won the first meeting 94-43 on March 20, 2005 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament being held in Knoxville.
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 987-183 (.844) all time, just 13 wins from 1,000.
- Tonight's win was No. 297 for Tennessee at Thompson-Boling Arena. The Lady Vols record is 297-19 at TBA. The next three home opponents are DePaul (Nov. 30), Middle Tennessee State (Dec. 11) and Stanford (Dec. 21).
- The Lady Vols will return to Thompson-Boling Arena on Sunday afternoon when they host the DePaul Blue Demons, with tip-off set for 3 p.m.
Freshman Shekinna Stricklen:
- Finished with a season-high 13 points
Freshman Glory Johnson:
- Had today's first basket - a jumper from the baseline at the 19:40 mark
- Tied a season-high with 19 points; also ties the individual high for the season
Sophomore Cait McMahan:
- Named Lady Vol Player of the Game with nine points, two rebounds and two assists
Sophomore Vicki Baugh:
- Recorded her second double-double in as many games with 11 points and 15 rebounds
- The 15 boards were a season-high