Dec. 2, 2008
Game Notes: George Washington vs. Tennessee
- Today's starters: Glory Johnson, Alex Fuller, Cait McMahan, Shekinna Stricklen, Vicki Baugh. Second half starters: McMahan, Johnson, Baugh, Fuller and Sydney Smallbone.
- All 12 student-athletes on the roster played for the second straight game.
- Three Lady Vols finished with double-figures: Glory Johnson (16), Alex Fuller (13) and Shekinna Stricklen (12)
- Johnson added 10 rebounds for her third double-double.
- The Lady Vols opened the game on a 6-0 run and never trailed in the first half.
- UT's largest first half lead was 13 at 35-22.
- Tennessee grabbed 28 first half rebounds to GW's 15. Fourteen of the Lady Vols' first half boards came on the offensive glass.
- GW made the first field goal of the second half, but UT went on a quick 7-0 run to get the lead back to double-digits.
- UT went without a field goal for 3:17 in the second half and GW went 3:19 without a field goal. Both ended their droughts on successive plays.
- GW went on a 7-0 run to pull within 54-52 at the 6:03 mark of the second half.
- A pair of Glory Johnson free throws at the 3:58 point put UT back up 59-54.
- Angie Bjorklund's first three-pointer of the game put Tennessee up 67-59 with 1:12 to play.
- Tennessee never trailed in the game.
- UT outrebounded GW 51-35, with 25 of those coming on the offensive end.
- In the first six games, UT shot an average of 29.8 free throws per game, making 68.7 percent. Tonight they shot 25, making 18 for 72.0 percent.
- In the latest polls, UT moved up to No. 7 in the Associated Press and to No. 9 in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches' poll.
- Tennessee is 9-0 all-time against George Washington and 4-0 at the Smith Center. UT holds a 24-1 advantage against the Atlantic 10.
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 989-183 (.844) all time, just 11 wins from 1,000.
- Up next: The Lady Vols will take nine days off for final exams before returning to action on Dec. 11, when they host the Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders on Dec. 11. Tip time is set for 7 p.m. at Thompson-Boling Arena and the game will be televised on Sports South.
Freshman Shekinna Stricklen:
- Went down holding her head at the 10:31 mark of the first half, but returned to the game and finished with 12 points, five steals, four boards and two assists
Freshman Glory Johnson:
- With a jumper at the 16:53 mark of the first half, went over the 100 point plateau for the season
- Has scored in double-figures in all seven games
- Named Lady Vol Player of the Game
Sophomore Vicki Baugh:
- Had tonight's first basket at the 19:19 mark
- Grabbed 10 rebounds
Senior Alex Fuller:
- Three consecutive free throws put UT back up 62-56 late in the game
- Finished with a season-high 13 points