Dec. 11, 2008
Game Notes: Middle Tennessee vs. Tennessee
- Today's starters: Shekinna Stricklen, Glory Johnson, Vicki Baugh, Angie Bjorklund, Briana Bass. The same five started the second half.
- Today's starting lineup is the youngest ever in Lady Vol history.
- It is not the first time that three freshman have started together. Previous occurrences: 1980-81 - Tanya Haave (Fr.), Mary Ostrowski (Fr.), Pat Hatmaker (Fr.), Lea Henry (So.) and Cindy Noble (Sr.); 1984-85 - Karla Horton (Fr.), Kathy Spinks (Fr.), Dawn Marsh (Fr.), Shelley Sexton (So.) and Shelia Collins (Sr.); 1997-98 - Tamika Catchings (Fr.), Semeka Randall (Fr.), Teresa Geter (Fr.), Chamique Holdsclaw (Jr.) and Kellie Jolly (Jr.)
- 11 of 12 Lady Vols played today; redshirt sophomore Cait McMahan did not play while resting her knees.
- Three Lady Vols finished in double figures: Shekinna Stricklen (20), Angie Bjorklund (16) and Glory Johnson (11).
- Tennessee missed its first four shots, but got four offensive rebounds before Baugh made the first shot of the game.
- The Lady Vols opened with a 16-4 run to the 14:43 mark of the first half.
- MTSU cut a 20-8 lead to 20-17 with three straight three-pointers with 8:50 to play until the break.
- A Kelley Cain layup ended a 13-0 Blue Raider run and put UT up 22-19 at 7:20 in the first half.
- Tennessee went on a 10-0 run to open up a 30-19 lead with 4:39 to go before half.
- Stricklen ended the first half with a 35-foot three-pointer, just beating the buzzer to give the Lady Vols a 41-23 halftime lead.
- There was one tie in the first half at 2-2 at the 18:40 mark of the first half and Tennessee never trailed in the first half.
- Middle Tennessee cut the UT lead to 55-44 with a 9-0 run at 8:50 in the second half, but the Lady Vols responded with an 8-0 run (63-44 at 6:11).
- The Lady Vols have shot an average of 29 free throws per game. Tonight they shot 17, making 13.
- Tennessee scored 80 points for the fifth time this season.
- Tennessee is 17-0 all-time against Middle Tennessee and is 27-2 against the Sun Belt Conference.
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 990-183 (.844) all time, just 10 wins from 1,000.
- Up next: The Lady Vols will travel to Austin, Texas, to face the No. 6/5-ranked Texas Longhorns (8-0) on Sunday afternoon at the Frank Erwin Center. The game will be broadcast at 2 p.m. ET on Fox Sports Net.
Freshman Briana Bass:
- Made her first career start
Freshman Glory Johnson:
- Finished in double figures for the eighth time this season
Freshman Shekinna Stricklen:
- Had eight of the first 18 Lady Vol points
- Made a buzzer-beating 35-foot 3-pointer
- Scored a career-high 20 points
- Finished with double figures for the sixth time this year
Sophomore Vicki Baugh:
- Had today's first basket at the 18:59 mark of the first half
Sophomore Angie Bjorklund:
- Made her first start of the season after being in the starting lineup for 30 games last season
- Finished with 16 points on 6-of-11 shooting
- Named Lady Vol Player of the Game