Dec. 14, 2008
Game Notes: Texas vs. Tennessee
- Today's starters: Briana Bass, Glory Johnson, Shekinna Stricklen, Angie Bjorklund, Vicki Baugh.
- Today's starting lineup is the youngest ever in Lady Vol history.
- It is not the first time that three freshman have started together. Previous occurrences: 1980-81 - Tanya Haave (Fr.), Mary Ostrowski (Fr.), Pat Hatmaker (Fr.), Lea Henry (So.) and Cindy Noble (Sr.); 1984-85 - Karla Horton (Fr.), Kathy Spinks (Fr.), Dawn Marsh (Fr.), Shelley Sexton (So.) and Shelia Collins (Sr.); 1997-98 - Tamika Catchings (Fr.), Semeka Randall (Fr.), Teresa Geter (Fr.), Chamique Holdsclaw (Jr.) and Kellie Jolly (Jr.)
- Two Lady Vols scored in double figures: Glory Johnson (13) and Angie Bjorklund (11).
- Texas opened the game with a 9-2 run to the 17:26 point.
- Tennessee trailed the entire half until Alyssia Brewer hit a free throw 26.9 seconds left before the break.
- The Lady Vols were within one three times before Brewer's free throw. Once at 9-8 (16:07) on a Bass three-pointer; at 29-28 (1:55) on a Bass free throw and at 31-30 (0:58) on an Alex Fuller jumper in the lane.
- Johnson's layup at the 10:46 mark of the second half ended a 6:04 field goal draught for Tennessee. In that span, the game went from a 39-39 tie to a 53-44 Texas lead.
- Tennessee was outrebounded for the first time this season, 52-41.
- The Lady Vols have shot an average of 27.6 free throws per game. Today they shot 24, making only 11.
- The 59 points are a season-low for Tennessee.
- Tennessee leads Texas 18-12 in the all-time series. The Lady Vols are 8-6 in Austin and are 43-13 against the Big 12 Conference.
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 990-184 (.843) all time, just 10 wins from 1,000.
- Up next: The Lady Vols will travel to Norfolk, Va., to face the Old Dominion Lady Monarchs on Thursday, Dec. 18. Tip time is set for 7:00 p.m. and will be televised on Comcast Sports Net.
Freshman Shekinna Stricklen:
- Had the Lady Vols first basket with a jumper at the 18:56 mark of the first half
Freshman Glory Johnson:
- Scored in double figures for the ninth time this season