Dec. 18, 2008
Game Notes: Old Dominion vs. Tennessee
- Today's starters: Briana Bass, Angie Bjorklund, Vicki Baugh, Glory Johnson and Alex Fuller. The same five started the second half.
- Sophomore Cait McMahan (knees) and freshman Shekinna Stricklen (illness) did not play.
- Three Lady Vols scored in double figures: Bjorklund (29), Brewer (15) and Johnson (11).
- UT held ODU without a field goal for the first 4:10 of the game.
- UT held the Lady Monarchs without a field goal for 4:14, in which UT built a 21-15 lead.
- ODU gained its first lead of the game at the 3:57 mark of the first half on a Jasmine Parker 3-pointer.
- Tennessee has led at the half of nine games this season.
- UT's largest first half lead was seven and ODU's largest first half lead was four.
- Redshirt-freshman Kelley Cain came out of the game at the 14:49 mark after hyper-extending her right knee. Returned at the 2:38 mark of the second half after Baugh fouled out.
- Old Dominion tied the game for the second time on a Jasmine Parker three (50-50) at the 13:20 mark of the second half.
- ODU gained its first lead of the second half on three Jen Nuzzo free throws at the 11:53 mark.
- Bjorklund's three at the 4:28 mark put UT up 68-67
- The win breaks Old Dominion's 29-home game winning streak. UT was also the last team to win here before that streak began. The Lady Vols were victorious, 75-59, on Dec. 30, 2006. This is the fourth home-court winning streak of the Lady Monarchs that Tennessee has broken. UT broke ODU's 64-home game streak on 2/16/81, 76-70; broke ODU's 33-game streak, 77-61, on 1/19/99; and broke ODU's 17-game streak, 77-54, on 1/24/95.
- The Lady Vols have shot an average of 27.2 free throws per game, making 67.3 percent. Tonight they shot 30, making 21.
- Tennessee leads Old Dominion, 33-9, in the all-time series, including a 14-4 advantage in Norfolk. UT is 37-9 all-time against the Colonial Athletic Association.
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 991-184 (.843) all time, just nine wins from 1,000.
- Up next: The Lady Vols return to Thompson-Boling Arena for their final game before the holiday break. In a rematch of the 2008 NCAA National Championship game, Tennessee will host Stanford at 7 p.m. on ESPN2 on Sunday, Dec. 21.
Freshman Glory Johnson:
- With a pair of free throws with 3:03 remaining in the game, Johnson went into double-figure scoring for the 10th straight game to open her freshman season. She becomes only the second UT player to ever score in double figures in at least 10 games to open her career at Rocky Top. Chamique Holdsclaw scored in double-digits in her first 14 games. Tonight, Johnson passed Candace Parker, who scored at least 10 in her first nine collegiate games.
Freshman Briana Bass:
- Made four straight free throws to put UT up 79-73 late in the game
Freshman Alyssia Brewer:
- Finished with 15 points, one shy of her season-high, and five rebounds
- Came out of the game at the 3:19 mark of the second half after being landed on hard
Sophomore Angie Bjorklund:
- Ties her career-high with 29 points on 10-of-19 shooting, including six three-pointers
Sophomore Vicki Baugh:
- Had today's first basket - a layup off the glass from Angie Bjorklund at the 19:31 mark of the first half.
- Had four of Tennessee's first six points
- Had seven of UT's first 11 rebounds - all by the first media timeout; had 12 for the game
Senior Alex Fuller:
- Tied her career-high with 12 rebounds