Dec. 21, 2008
Game Notes: Stanford vs. Tennessee
- Today's starters: Briana Bass, Angie Bjorklund, Vicki Baugh, Glory Johnson and Shekinna Stricklen. The same five started the second half.
- Redshirt-sophomore Cait McMahan did not play with sore knees.
- A Fuller layup off an assist from Baugh at the 2:10 mark of the first half gave UT a 10-point lead (37-27).
- Tennessee only allowed two field goals in the final 7:29 of the first half and built a 41-32 halftime lead.
- Tennessee's biggest lead of the first half was 10 (37-27 @ 2:10) and its biggest deficit was four (4-0 @ 18:17).
- Stanford held UT without a field goal from the 16:44 mark of the second half until the 12:26 point, cutting a 46-39 UT lead to 50-49; The Cardinal briefly held the lead at 49-48 at 12:46.
- From a 52-52 tie at 11:16 left in the game, Tennessee held Stanford scoreless to the 7:21 mark, building a 60-54 lead. UT held SU without a field goal until from 11:16 to the 6:43 mark, going up 60-56.
- From 11:16 (score: 52-52) in the second half to 3:09, UT held Stanford to three field goals and eight points (score: 65-60).
- A Jeanette Pohlen (SU) three with 54 seconds left tied the score at 68.
- Alicia Manning (UT) blocked a Melanie Murphy shot with three seconds remaining.
- Tennessee's last overtime game was the 73-69 loss at Stanford last season on Dec. 22.
- A Shekinna Stricklen 23-foot three-pointer with 3:23 left in OT put UT up 73-68.
- Alex Fuller's two free throws with 23.2 left in OT put UT up 78-69.
- Alicia Manning's free throw with 4.5 seconds left put UT up 79-69.
- The Lady Vols are now 26-14 all-time in overtime games and 3-2 in OT against the Cardinal.
- This is UT's third game against a ranked opponent this season. The Lady Vols are now 1-2 (1-1 at home, 0-1 on the road).
- The Lady Vols have shot an average of 27.5 free throws per game, making 67.6 percent. Tonight they shot 26, making 19.
- The win was No. 300 for Tennessee in Thompson-Boling Arena, with an overall record of 300-19
- Tennessee leads Stanford 21-5 in the all-time series, including a 10-1 mark in Knoxville. Against the Pac-10, UT is 55-13, with all 13 losses coming to three teams: USC (seven times), Stanford (five) and UCLA (once).
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 992-184 (.844) all time, just eight wins from 1,000.
- Up next: The Lady Vols will take a break for the holidays. The next game for UT will take place on Dec. 30, when Tennessee travels to Gonzaga. Tip is set for 8 p.m. ET, with Fox Sports Net broadcasting the contest.
Freshman Glory Johnson:
- Had the Lady Vols' first basket at the 17:56 mark - a put-back off the glass
- Basket off an inbounds pass gave UT its first lead at 7-6 at 16:23 in the first half
- Left the game with 2:20 remaining in overtime with a leg injury
- Her double-digit scoring streak comes to an end at 10 after scoring only seven points, all in regulation
Freshman Shekinna Stricklen:
- Had eight of her 25 points in overtime
Freshman Briana Bass:
- Had six of the Lady Vols' first 10 points - all on a pair of three-pointers
Sophomore Angie Bjorklund:
- In three career games against Stanford, Bjorklund has 16 points - all coming in tonight's contest