Dec. 30, 2008
- Today's starters: Briana Bass, Angie Bjorklund, Vicki Baugh, Glory Johnson and Shekinna Stricklen. The same five started the second half.
- This is the first time Tennessee has played a Washington school in the state of Washington. UT owns a 3-1 record all-time in the Evergreen State, with all three previous games coming in a pair of Final Fours in Tacoma in 1988 & 1989.
- Four Lady Vols scored in double digits: Bjorklund (14), Brewer (14), Baugh (12) and Stricklen (12).
- A sell-out crowd of 6,000 fans attended tonight's game - the first ever sell-out for the Gonzaga women at the McCarthey Athletic Center.
- A Sydney Smallbone three at the 15:39 mark of the first half gave UT its first lead of the game, 7-6.
- After Bass' three-pointer with 11:04 before halftime, making the score 18-15, UT did not have another field goal until the 7:16 point of the first half, when Vicki Baugh made a layup to make the score 23-22 in favor of Gonzaga.
- Bjorklund's three at the 5:28 mark gave Tennessee its first lead at 27-24 since it was up 20-19 at 10:12 before the break.
- Stricklen stole an in-bounds pass after a Lyssi Brewer layup at the 2:58 mark of the first half, putting the Lady Vols up 34-28.
- The first half saw seven ties and seven lead changes. UT's biggest lead of the first 20 minutes was seven at 1:22 and its biggest deficit was four at 19:16.
- The Lady Vols led 38-33 at the half and have now led at the break in 11 of their 12 games.
- UT held Gonzaga to only three field goals and a pair of free throws in the first 8:12 of the second half, opening up a 53-43 lead.
- Tennessee never trailed in the second half against the Zags and outscored Gonzaga 39-25 in the second 20 minutes.
- After Gonzaga shot 43.8 percent (14-of-32) in the first half, UT held the Zags to just 30.0 percent (9-of-30) in the second half.
- The Lady Vols have shot an average of 27.4 free throws per game, making 68.1 percent. Tonight they shot 19, making 13. UT was 6-of-7 from the charity stripe in the first half and 7-of-12 in the second stanza.
- Tennessee leads Gonzaga 3-0 in the all-time series and 1-0 in Spokane. Against the West Coast Conference, UT is 8-0, including a 68-39 win over WCC member San Francisco to open the 2008-09 season.
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 993-184 (.844) all time, just seven wins from 1,000.
- Up next: The Lady Vols will catch an early flight for the East Coast to face Rutgers in a Jan. 3 matinee. The game will tip at 2 p.m. at the Louis Brown Athletic Center and be aired on CBS.
Freshman Glory Johnson:
Scored four points to be held in single digits for only the second time this season - both coming in the last two games
Sophomore Vicki Baugh:
Notched her third double-double of the season with 12 points and 14 rebounds
Redshirt sophomore Cait McMahan:
Saw her first action since playing only five minutes at Texas.
Sophomore Angie Bjorklund:
Had the Lady Vols' first basket - a 15-footer at the 19:00 mark of the first half
Finished with 14 points and was named Lady Vol Player of the Game