April 2, 2013
Tennessee's Herman Lathers of the football team and Taber Spani of the women's basketball squad have been nominated for the Brad Davis SEC Community Service Post-Graduate Scholarship. Here is the full release from the league.
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Twenty-eight Southeastern Conference student-athletes - one male and one female from each of the SEC's 14 institutions - have been nominated for the Brad Davis SEC Community Service Post-Graduate Scholarship, it was announced Tuesday.
The overall recipients of the Brad Davis SEC Community Service Post-Graduate Scholarship will be released on April 4. The Davis Award recipients each receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship, provided by the SEC. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $5,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The SEC Community Service Award is named for Brad Davis, who succumbed to cancer on March 2, 2006. He had been a member of the SEC staff since 1988, first serving as an assistant commissioner until 1994 when he was promoted to associate commissioner.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla. on May 30.
Last year's Davis Award recipients were LSU's Cullen Doody and Alabama's Leigh Gilmore, both cross country and track & field student-athletes.
Herman Lathers, Football (Male Davis Community Service Nominee) · Graduated with a B.S. degree in sport management in August 2012. Is currently working towards an M.S. Degree in sport management. · A member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll and a VolScholar during his entire time on the Tennessee team. · Volunteered with Habitat for Humanity and made hospital visits to East Tennessee Children's Hospital. · Served as a guest speaker at a variety of area schools and churches. Spent countless hours volunteering as part of various youth clinics and sports activities. · Volunteered for Soles for Souls and the Montgomery Village Kids. · A native of Baton Rouge, La., he is the son of Janice Lathers.
Taber Spani, Basketball (Female Davis Community Service Nominee)
· Graduated with a B.A. degree in communication studies in August 2012. Is currently working towards a master's degree in kinesiology with a concentration in psychology and motor behavior.
· A three-time CoSIDA Capital One Academic All-District selection, a member of the SEC Honor Roll, a VolScholar and recipient of the 2012 Division IA Faculty Athletics Representatives Academic Excellence Award.
· Has spoken at a variety of churches and FCA meetings about her faith and character.
· Participated in Habitat for Humanity builds, volunteered at East Tennessee Children's Hospital and participated in the Hoops for Hope basketball program.
· A two-year team captain for Tennessee, which has advanced to the NCAA Tournament in each year of her career. Under her leadership, the Lady Vols won the 2013 SEC regular-season championship. Has charted career highs of 33 points, 12 rebounds and five assists, and became the 38th Lady Vol in program history to score 1,000 career points.
· A native of Lee's Summit, Mo., she is the daughter of Gary and Stacey Spani.