May 7, 2014
CLE ELUM, Wash. - With the 2014 NCAA West Regional fast approaching, the Tennessee women's golf team announced its starting lineup that will look to conquer the Tumble Creek Club at Suncadia Resort on Thursday.
For the first time since week two of the season, the Lady Vols will use the lineup of senior Chessey Thomas, freshman Hannah Pietila, freshman Lucia Polo, senior AJ Newell, and junior Mason Chen. The lineup has a combined five appearances at the NCAA Regionals, led by second team All-SEC selection Thomas, who will make her fourth straight trip to regionals.
Fans can follow the regional live scoring at Golfstat.com
Lady Volunteer Starting Five:
Chessey Thomas (Sr.)
- 2014 second team All-SEC selection.
- Team leader in season scoring average (73.88).
- 2014 Lady Bulldog Individual champion.
- Counting score in 24 of 25 rounds (.960), including six under-par.
- Finished in the top 20 in five of nine events.
Hannah Pietila (Fr.)
- Started in every tournament as a true freshman.
- Team leader with 28 rounds played, 25 counting (.818).
- Team best, low round of 69 at the Mercedes-Benz Championship.
- Top ten finish at the Rebel Intercollegiate (T-9th).
- Third on the team in season scoring average with 75.64.
Lucia Polo (Fr.)
- Best finish of the season came at the Mercedes-Benz Championship (T-19th).
- Won two international titles competing for Guatemala over winter break.
- Turned in a counting score in 21 of 23 rounds (.913), second best on team.
- Three rounds of par or better on the season.
- Fall season scoring average (74.75) was second best on team.
AJ Newell (Jr.)
- Will make her third NCAA Regional appearance.
- Best regional finish came during freshman season (T-23rd).
- Set two career bests at the 2013 Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational.
- Second on team in season scoring average with 75.46.
- Started all four fall tournaments before being sidelined by injury for spring season.
Mason Chen (Jr.)
- Will make her first NCAA postseason appearance.
- Had best career finish at 2014 Lady Bulldog (T-14th).
- Shot a career low of 72 at the 2013 Cougar Classic.
- Started nine of ten tournaments after only competing in two last season.
- Improved scoring average by four strokes from sophomore to junior season.
Chessey Thomas (@ChesseyThomas) May 6, 2014
AJ Newell (@anewell2011) May 6, 2014