Oct. 10, 2010
By Donnie Conley, Media Relations Student Assistant
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - The University of Tennessee Lady Vol rowing team began its fall season in impressive fashion on Saturday at the Chattanooga head race.
All in all, UT captured seven medals in four events, including three gold medals. The Lady Vols began the day by bringing home first place in the Collegiate 8+ with a time of 16:32.0. Emily Krison coxed the boat that also consisted of Rachel Dooley, Marissa Bell, Erika Lauderdale, Karoline Mikolajewski, Kaelyn Gibson, Hilary Epes and Jennifer Bailey and Rachel White.
The Lady Vols also earned a bronze medal in that race, with Ashley Fichthorn coxing her shell to a third-place finish in 17:06.4.
In the Collegiate 2-, Tennessee was utterly dominant, taking all five of the top finishing spots. Ashley Case and Katherine Changes won the race with a time of 20:28.2 Paula Coughlin and Mary-Hannah Daugherty were a close second in 20:35.0. Evelyn Radford and Emily Boyer teamed up to take the bronze in 20:38.5
The Orange and White capped off a successful day by bringing home a pair of medals in the Collegiate 4+. UT took the gold in 17:53.9 as Ashley Fichthorn guided her shell consisting of Lauderdale, White Bailey and Mikolajewski to the finish line. A second UT boat made up of Krison, Dooley, Melissa Toms, Gibson and Epes snagged third place in 18:20.5.
Complete results for the event were not available until Sunday.
Tennessee will be off next week before competing in the prestigious Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston, Mass. from October 23-24. The Head of the Charles is the largest two-day regatta in the world with over 8,000 athletes competing.
Fans are reminded to follow the Lady Vols on Twitter at www.twitter.com/UTLadyVols.
2010 CHATTANOOGA HEAD RACE RESULTS
1. UT (C) 16:32.0 Krison, Dooley, Bell, Lauderdale, Mikolajewski, Gibson, Epes, Bailey, White
3. UT (A) 17:06.4 Fichthorn, Toms, Coggin, Arcamuzi, Keesecker, Burns, Radford, McLure, Coughlin
6. UT (B) 17:29.1 Kirk, Sedgwick, Daugherty, Johnson, Changes, Goodwin, Boyer, Case, Athan
3. UT (A) 21:10.9 Miller (Unaffiliated)
6. UT (B) 22:52.2 Shadko
1. UT (B) 20:28.2 Case/Changes
2. UT (A) 20:35.0 Coughlin/Daugherty
3. UT (E) 20:38.5 Radford/Boyer
4. UT (D) 20:43.7 Sedgwick/McLure
5. UT (C) 21:47.5 Johnson/Goodwin
1. UT (C) 17:53.9 Fichthorn, Lauderdale, White, Bailey, Mikolajewski
3. UT (B) 18:20.5 Krison, Dooley, Toms, Gibson, Epes
6. UT (A) 18:37.5 Kirk, Bell, Coggin, Arcamuzi, Keesecker
9. UT (D) 19:42.1 Oliver, Austin, Shadko, Dickson, Rader