Oct. 12, 2002
The University of Tennessee women's rowing team opened its fall season on a high note, capturing four gold medals at the Chattanooga Head Race, Saturday Oct. 12, on the Tennessee River.
The Lady Vols opened the day by claiming both first and second place in the championship eight race. UT's "A" boat of Erin Artz (cox), Nicole Bold, Lauren Wells, Kacey Montgomery, Kaitlin Bargreen, Kay Logan, Kelly Kraiss, Sally BeVille and Amy McIntosh won the race, covering the three-mile course in a time of 15:46.17. Following close behind, Tennessee's "B" boat of Lizzie Brown (cox), Marissa Allen, McKenzie Craig, Dana Forbes, Chelsea Pemberton, Melissa DiCerbo, Claire Newton, Mary Gruzalski and Jessica Shreder finished in 16:03.06 to take second. Both Lady Vol boats finished more than 30 seconds ahead of the third place team from Emory that recorded a time of 16:33.78.
The UT duo of Hillary Graber and Shreder were the next Lady Vols to take to the water and they also claimed victory, winning the championship double in 19:15.33, over a minute ahead of second place Georgia Tech.
Another Tennessee gold medal came in the championship pair event, as Lady Vol boats captured first through sixth places. The UT pair of Bold and Wells won in a time of 19:05.80, and was followed closely by the second-place boat of Kelly Kravitz and Pemberton in 19:14.95. Rounding out the top six were Bargreen and Montgomery in third (19:17.65), BeVille and McIntosh in fourth (19:38.75), Lindsay Jones and Andrea Bagwell in fifth (19:39.43), and Kraiss and Logan in sixth (20:05.92).
In the final event of the day for the Lady Vols, UT boats again captured first and second place, this time in the championship four. The Tennessee squad of Brown (cox), Forbes, Graber, DiCerbo and Mary Beth Lewis crossed the line first in a clocking of 17:40.04, just over five seconds ahead of the runner-up UT boat of Jovanna Vick (cox), Allen, Craig, Gruzalski and Newton in 17:45.55.
UT's novice squad also put on a strong showing at the event. In the novice eight competition, the Lady Vol boat of Jessica Dainty (cox), Amy McCormick, Catherine Robertson, Anna Casey, Alice Johnson, Kristin Spoerre, Anna Lucas, Ruth Ann Johnson and Lindsay Smith placed second in a time of 18:52.83. Just behind in third place was the Tennessee team of Maggie Wheeler (cox), Beth Schwartz, Caitlyn Cleary, Jennifer Sowers, Diane Samu, Kate Lynch, Whitney Tehan, Andrea Searby and Allison Remington, finishing in 19:18.12.
"I'm really pleased with how our athletes handled the race day situation," UT Head Coach Lisa Glenn said. "On the water, overall, we had a good carry over from practice to racing conditions. We've identified some details we need to work on going into the Head of the Charles, and we are excited for a big race."
Next week, Tennessee's varsity 8+ travel to Boston for the prestigious Head of the Charles, Oct. 19-20, an event for which the Lady Vols qualified by claiming victory in the Club 8+ race last year. The rest of the UT rowers, meanwhile, will remain in Knoxville where the Lady Vols will host the Head of the Tennessee on Oct. 19.
Chattanooga Head Race
October 12, 2002
Race Results and UT Lineups
Championship Eight - 9 a.m.
1. UT (A), 15:46.17 - Erin Artz (cox), Nicole Bold, Lauren Wells, Kacey Montgomery, Kaitlin Bargreen, Kay Logan, Kelly Kraiss, Sally BeVille, Amy McIntosh
2. UT (B), 16:03.06 - Lizzie Brown (cox), Marissa Allen, McKenzie Craig, Dana Forbes, Chelsea Pemberton, Melissa DiCerbo, Claire Newton, Mary Gruzalski, Jessica Shreder
3. Emory, 16:33.78
4. Georgia Tech, 16:41.94
5. Vanderbilt, 16:43.83
6. UT-Chattanooga, 17:41.81
Championship Double - 11 a.m.
1. UT (A), 19:15.33 - Hillary Graber, Shreder
2. Georgia Tech, 20:23.15
Championship Pair - 1 p.m.
1. UT (D), 19:05.80 - Bold, Wells
2. UT (E), 19:14.95 - Kelly Kravitz, Pemberton
3. UT (C), 19:17.65 - Bargreen, Montgomery
4. UT (A), 19:38.75 - BeVille, McIntosh
5. UT (F), 19:39.43 - Lindsay Jones, Andrea Bagwell
6. UT (B), 20:05.92 - Kraiss, Logan
7. Tennessee Crew, 21:14.33
Novice Eight - 2:10 p.m.
1. UT-Chattanooga, 18:20.21
2. UT (B), 18:52.83 - Jessica Dainty (cox), Amy McCormick, Lindsay Smith, Anna Casey, Alice Johnson, Kristin Spoerre, Anna Lucas, Ruth Ann Johnson, Sara DeMerchant
3. UT (A), 19:18.12 - Maggie Wheeler (cox), Beth Schwartz, Caitlyn Cleary, Jennifer Sowers, Diane Samu, Kate Lynch, Whitney Tehan, Andrea Searby, Allison Remington
4. Georgia, 19:25.67
5. Georgia Tech, 20:00.09
6. Tennessee Crew, 20:07.66
7. Georgia State, 20:30.30
8. UT-Chattanooga, 21:10.18
9. Vanderbilt, 21:48.28
10. Emory, 22:04.47
Championship Four - 3:30 p.m.
1. UT (C), 17:40.04 - Brown (cox), Forbes, Graber, DiCerbo, Mary Beth Lewis
2. UT (A), 17:45.55 - Jovanna Vick (cox), Allen, Craig, Gruzalski, Newton
3. Georgia Tech, 18:06.90
4. Georgia State, 18:07.62
5. Georgia, 19:16.09
6. Tulane, 18:20.40
7. UT (B), 18:23.47 - Artz (cox), Jones, Kravitz, Ariana Fitzgerald, Bagwell
8. Vanderbilt (A), 18:30.04
9. UT-Chattanooga, 19:26.00
10. Vanderbilt (B), 20:04.87