Oct. 18, 2003
The University of Tennessee women's rowing team demonstrated its talents on a grand stage at the renowned Head of the Charles in Boston on Saturday, as the Club 8+ boat took second-place honors in its event. The Lady Vol Club 8+ shell has now finished in the top two in the race for three consecutive years, as the 2001 and 2002 Big Orange representatives each claimed gold.
UT's boat, comprised of Erin Artz (cox), Amy McIntosh, Beth Schwartz, Eileen Welsh, Lindsay Jones, Andrea Bagwell, Amy McCormick, Rachel Mayberry and Sara Hutcheson, finished the three-mile course in 17:13.15 and ahead of 45 competitors. The Riverside Boat Club claimed victory with a 17:03.72 clocking, while Tennessee defeated third-place Notre Dame (17:36.89), Minneapolis Rowing Club (17:38.78) and Iowa (17:46.40), which rounded out the top five.
The Lady Vols will be in action again tomorrow at the Head of the Charles when the Championship 8+ race commences at 4 p.m. Representing Tennessee on the final day of action will be Lizzie Brown (cox), Kaitlin Bargreen, Nicole Bold, Dana Forbes, McKenzie Craig, Lauren Wells, Chelsea Pemberton, Melissa DiCerbo and Jessica Shreder. The same squad teamed up last weekend to take the top prize at the Chattanooga Head Race, defeating shells from Georgia, Georgia Tech and Vanderbilt, among others.
Next weekend, UT will take to the water in Knoxville as it plays host to the Head of the Tennessee on Saturday, Oct. 25.
Head of the Charles
Oct. 18, 2003
Results (Top 10)
Club 8+ -- Saturday, Oct. 18, 12:30 p.m.
- Riverside Boat Club (17:03.72)
- UT (17:13.15) - Erin Artz (cox), Amy McIntosh, Beth Schwartz, Eileen Welsh, Lindsay Jones, Andrea Bagwell, Amy McCormick, Rachel Mayberry, Sara Hutcheson
- University of Notre Dame (17:36.89)
- Minneapolis Rowing Club (17:38.78)
- University of Iowa (17:46.40)
- Boston Masters' Women (17:54.29)
- Picnic Point Rowing Club (17:54.74)
- Holy Cross College (17:57.98)
- Ottawa Rowing Club (17:59.60)
- University of Toronto Rowing Club (18:03.43)