March 14, 2014
- This race marks the first official race for the Big Orange of the 2014 spring season.
- Last weekend the Lady Vols produced solid results and improvements during its final exhibition race against Duke University.
- In the first session on Melton Hill Lake UT took to the water in varsity fours to race the Blue Devils. The Lady Volunteers competed hard through all three pieces against Duke winning one of the three races.
- In the second session in Oak Ridge, Tennessee showed their strength on the water in eights with three pieces. Tennessee prevailed in one of the three pieces.
- Against the Tar Heels of North Carolina, the varsity eights took to the water racing in three 2000-meter pieces. The Lady Vols first varsity eight swept the Tar Heels in all varsity eight races.
- The team traveled to Orlando, Fla. to race UCF and Michigan two weekends ago in their first exhibition race.
- The Big Orange began with races early Saturday morning, Tennessee took four out of five during the 4:00 pieces and during Saturday afternoon, UT swept all the 15-stroke pieces, 10 out of 10.
- During Sunday's exhibition in Orlando, Tennessee competed in eights in multiple 1500-meter pieces, Tennessee prevailed against UCF while Michigan prevailed over Tennessee and UCF.
- The Lady Voluteers had a strong fall season with at least one first place finish at every fall race.
- At the Chattanooga Head Race in early October the Collegiate 2- swept the top four spots.
- Although no official times were recorded, the team travelled to Duke University where the novice six placed first and in the 'A' pairs race, the Lady Vols placed second.
- In the final race of the fall, the Big Orange secured gold in the Championship 4 race.
- Last season, the team finished second at the Conference USA championships, falling to Oklahoma.
- For more information about the Tennessee rowing team, follow @LadyVol_Rowing on Twitter and on Facebook.
Melton Hill Lake
Oak Ridge, Tenn.
SCOUTING THE BLUE DEVILS
- Tennessee and Duke will not race against each other this weekend.
- Tennessee and Duke raced last weekend on Melton Hill Lake, Tennessee prevailed over Duke in one of three pieces in the varsity four and eight.
- The teams also raced in mid-October on Lake Michie in Bahama, North Carolina.
- During the fall, Duke prevailed over Tennessee in all races except during the novice 6 race.
- Duke posted a top-15 finish at Princeton Chase during fall racing.
- During the 2012-13 season, the Blue Devils finished third at the ACC Championships held on Lake Hartwell in Clemson, South Carolina.
SCOUTING THE SPARTANS
- Tennessee and Michigan State will race on Saturday, March 15 beginning at 4:46 PM with the first varsity eight.
- The Spartans began their spring season with an exhibition race against the University of Alabama last weekend, Michigan State swept the Crimson Tide in all races.
- In 2013, Michigan State finished fourth at the Big Ten Championships falling to Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin.
SCOUTING THE CRIMSON TIDE
- Tennessee and Alabama will race on Saturday, March 15 beginning at 11:54 AM with the first varsity eight.
- Alabama rowing opened its spring season with a scrimmage against Michigan State. Alabama and Michigan State ran four separate 1,000-meter pieces for each crew.
- The Crimson Tide fell to the Spartans in all races.
- To close out the 2013 spring season, Alabama placed 10th with 14 points at the C-USA Championships where the Lady Volunteers placed second with 57 points.
SCOUTING THE FLYERS
- Tennessee and Dayton will race on Saturday, March 15 beginning at 11:54 AM with the varsity eights.
- This will be the first competition of the spring season for the Flyers.
SCOUTING THE JAYHAWKS
- Tennessee will race the Jayhawks of Kansas on Sunday, March 16 beginning at 11:54 AM with the varsity eights.
- Kansas scrimmaged the Tulsa Hurricane last weekend in Oklahoma.
- The Jayhawks finished their 2013 campaign with a fourth place finish at the C-USA Championship in May on Melton Hill Lake, Tennessee finished head of Kansas with a second place finish.
SCOUTING THE CARDINALS
- Tennessee's varsity squad will not race Louisville; however, the Lady Vols novice shell will race the Cardinals' novice eight on Saturday, March 15 at 5:02 PM.
- This weekend's race will be the first test of the season for the Cardinals,as they host the third annual Oak Ridge Cardinal Invitational.
- The Cardinals finished the 2013 season with a second place finish at the BIG EAST Rowing Championship.
SCOUTING THE GOLDEN GOPHERS
- Tennessee and Minnesota will not race against each other during the Oak Ridge Cardinal Invitational; however, will meet on the water for a head-to-head race on March 23 on Melton Hill Lake in Oak Ridge.
- Minnesota being their 2014 campaign with a scrimmage against Sacramento State and Cal on Lake Natoma two weekends ago.
- The Golden Gophers finished fifth in 2013 at the Big Ten Rowing Championships, falling to Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin and Michigan State.
SCOUTING THE FIGHTING IRISH
- Tennessee's varsity squad will not race the Fighting Irish; however, the Lady Vols novice shell will race Notre Dame's third varsity eight on Saturday, March 15 at 12:10 PM.
- The Fighting Irish won gold at the 2013 BIG EAST Rowing Championships.
- Notre Dame finished their 2013 campaign with a stint at the NCAA Championships in Indianapolis.
- The Fighting Irish finished 13th at the 2013 NCAA Championships with three boats within the top-13 of respective events.
SCOUTING THE CAVALIERS
- Tennessee's varsity squad will not race Virginia; however, the Lady Vols novice shell will race the Cavaliers' novice eight on Saturday, March 15 at 12:10 PM and at 5:02 PM.
- In early January, the Virginia rowing team traveled to DeLand, Fla., for a week-long training trip. The Oak Ridge Cardinal Invite will be the Cavaliers first race of the spring.
- The Cavaliers concluded the 2012-13 season with a fifth-place finish at the NCAA Championships on Eagle Creek Park Lake. This was the seventh consecutive season UVA had finished in the top six at the national regatta.
SCOUTING THE BADGERS
- The Badgers will bring both of their crews this weekend, openweight and lightweight.
- Tennessee will race Wisconsin's lightweight crew on Saturday, March 15 beginning at 4:46 PM with the varsity eights.
- The Lady Vols will then race the openweight crew on Sunday, March 16 beginning at 11:54 AM with the varsity eights.
- The Badgers lightweight crew captured a third-consecutive national title in the varsity four and turned in a third-place finish in the varsity eight at the 2013 Intercollegiate Rowing Association National Championships.
- Wisconsin's openweight crew made their sixth-straight NCAA championships appearance in 2012-13, the team finished 16th.
SCOUTING THE MOUNTAINEERS
- Tennessee will race the Mountaineers on Sunday, March 16 beginning at 11:54 AM with the varsity eights.
- This is the first race for West Virginia of the spring 2014 season.
- To finish the Mountaineers 2013 campaign, the team finished sixth at the Conference USA Championships.