Wilkinson Scores Twice As UT Tops JMU, 2-0

Sep 1, 2013

Box Score

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Hannah Wilkinson beat the keeper for a first-half goal and booted an open-net score in the second half to lead Tennessee to a 2-0 victory over James Madison on Sunday at Regal Soccer Stadium.

Tennessee improved to 3-1-0 on the season, sweeping its weekend matches. James Madison fell to 2-2-0. UT goalkeeper Julie Eckel (3-1-0) recorded her first shutout of the season. Wilkinson scored in the fourth minute and the 77th minute to push her weekend goal total to three (one at No. 17 UCF, two vs. James Madison).

Tennessee enjoyed a 17-9 edge on shots while James Madison had five corner kicks to UT's two. The Volunteers played very aggressive throughout the match as they were called offsides eight times to the Dukes' one. Wilkinson and freshmen Amalie Thestrup and Amy Neal each had three shots on goal. Sophomore Susan Ferguson had two shots on goal.

UT and Wilkinson wasted no time in getting on the scoreboard. In the fourth minute, junior Cheyenne Spade found Wilkinson on a breakaway. The junior New Zealand native muscled her way past two defenders and surged past the goal keeper Ellen Forrest (2-2-0) for a score from the right side. The assist gave Spade three helpers on the weekend.

In the 17th minute, Thestrup fired a shot on the ground to the left post directly to Forrest.

James Madison had numerous crosses through the box that the Dukes could not capitalize on. JMU fired its first shot in the 30th minute when Becky Sparks sailed a free kick outside the box high of the crossbar.

In the 35th minute, Forrest denied Wilkinson with a diving save to her right and bounced back up to cover the rebound shot by Neal.

In the 40th minute, JMU missed out on a chance to even the game before halftime when Rachel Ivey's header off a corner kick went wide of the goal. Two minutes later, JMU's Haley Miller had a shot off a throw in go high over the cross bar.

Eckel made two big saves in the final minutes before halftime. In the 43rd minute, Eckel stopped Jennie Sroba's shot from outside the box. In the 45th minute, Eckel made a save to her right after Kelly Abt fired from outside the box.

Tennessee came out aggressive after the halftime break. Thestrup had a shot on the ground stopped in the 58th minute and Ferguson missed out on a great breakaway in the 59th, kicking the ball right to the keeper in a one-on-one.

Ferguson nearly collided with Forrest in the 65th minute on a shot taken near the front left side of the JMU box.

Neal had a shot turned away in the 76th minute. The rookie fired diagonally through the box from the left side, but Forrest was there to make a save once again.

The Volunteers found the back of the net in the 77th minute when sophomore Gabby Santorio played a ball forward to CC Cobb on the near side. Cobb sent a beautiful arcing pass down the field for a streaking Wilkinson. After shaking the keeper, Wilkinson had an open net from about three yards out for the easy score.

Tennessee will be back in action on Friday, Sept. 6, to host Dayton at 7 p.m. at Regal Soccer Stadium.





  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago