Sept. 2, 2005

Box Score |  Photo Gallery

Box Score in PDF Format
Download Free Acrobat Reader

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Freshman forward Jackie Acevedo (Austin, Texas) assisted on two goals, but Washington State scored three unanswered to take a 3-2 overtime win over Tennessee Friday night at the newly renamed Regal Soccer Complex. The Cougars improve to 3-0, while the Lady Vols fall to 0-2 for the first time since 2000.

In the first half, the squads battled back and forth, with both teams only getting two shots on goal in the period. The Lady Vols broke the ice with 32 seconds to spare before half when Acevedo tapped a pass back in front of the goal mouth to fellow freshman Casey Crawford (Mandeville, La.), who finished for her first collegiate goal.

Just after half in the 53rd minute, the Big Orange struck again when junior Kristen Doukakis (Highlands Ranch, Colo.) headed home her first goal of the year off a cross by sophomore Genna Gorman (Lakewood, Colo.) that Acevedo tapped toward Doukakis for the score. The Lady Vols looked to add more, but eight offsides calls in the second half and 11 overall went against the Orange and White.

Washington State nearly cut the lead in half in the 64th minute, as three shots were fired in 20 seconds at UT senior goalkeeper Vanessa Phillips-Bosshart (Vernon, Conn.). First, Ashley Lara took a shot from the top of the box that the second-team All-SEC keeper batted away. Next, Molly Alexander corralled the deflection and fired from the left wing, where Gorman steered the shot wide. Shaye Harrel tried her luck next, hitting another shot inside the box, but Phillips-Bosshart grabbed it to thwart the Cougars' threat.



The Crimson and Grey would not be turned away, however, scoring first in the 84th minute on senior forward Carmen Anderson penalty kick that cut the Lady Vols' lead in half. Two minutes later, Washington State found the nets again when Jennie Kunc fired a shot from the right wing that deflected off a Tennessee defender and across the line to tie up the match at 2-2, forcing overtime.

The Cougars tried to end it early when Anderson shot from the left wing in the 93rd minute, but Phillips-Bosshart caught it for her fifth save of the match. Gorman took what turned out to be the Lady Vols' lone shot in overtime just a little hard and high in the 98th minute. With time winding down in the period, Cougar freshman Megan Hyte took the ball and ran past the Tennessee defense, driving all the way to the near left wing. Her shot flew past the Lady Vols' keeper, bounced off the right post and across the line to give Washington State the 3-2 victory.

For the match, the Cougars outshot the Lady Vols, 12-10, and held a 6-5 advantage in corner kicks. The loss was the first home-opening defeat in Lady Vol soccer history and ended a 16-match unbeaten streak at the Regal Soccer Complex.

Tennessee continues their season with a road contest at No. 10 West Virginia on Sunday, Sept. 4 at 1 p.m. EDT at the Mountaineer Soccer Complex. Gametracker live stats will be provided on utladyvols.com



  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago