Women's Soccer Home
Tennessee Sports
Buy Tickets Tenn Fund


UT Soccer Ties LSU, 1-1 (2OT)
Sophomore defender Ali Hall

Sophomore defender Ali Hall

Sept. 26, 2010

Photo Gallery

Tennessee-LSU Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

By Brian Davis, Assistant Media Relations Director

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - On a rainy and cool Sunday afternoon at the Regal Soccer Stadium, Tennessee (4-5-1, 1-0-1 Southeastern Conference) and LSU (3-5-2, 0-1-1 SEC) battled hard over 90 minutes of regulation and 20 minutes of "sudden victory" overtime but settled nothing as the match eventually ended dead-locked in a 1-1 (2OT) tie.

LSU forced the extra sessions by tying the contest with just 2:58 remaining on the third goal of the season from midfielder Natalie Martineau. Tennessee had a huge "golden goal" scoring chance early in the second overtime on a header from the left side by junior forward Emily Dowd, but the ball was eventually saved out of the goal mouth by LSU defender Kellie Murphy and cleared.

The Big Orange out-shot the Tigers 22-17 overall and 8-6 in shots on frame. During the overtime periods UT managed a 10-2 shot differential, including a 7-0 total over the final 10 minutes of extra time.

Tennessee sophomore midfielder Amy Harrison granted the Lady Vols the lead at 18:59 by registering her second goal of the campaign. The Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, native's score occurred off the second assist of 2010 from sophomore defender Ali Hall. Senior goalkeeper Molly Baird managed five saves during the contest while her counterpart for the Tigers, Megan Kinneman, was credited with six stops.

With the tie, UT moved its all-time home record to 100-33-6 and now stands 4-2-1 overall and 1-0-1 in league action at the Regal Soccer Stadium this season.

"This wasn't the result we needed or expected to have today, but I did see growth from our team," Lady Vol Head Coach Angela Kelly said. "When you are in the coaching profession and serving as a leader and mentor for 17-22 year-olds, it's very pleasing to see growth. Our team was better able to implement our game plan as the intermissions progressed. I thought we were a little too anxious during the first half, took too much time on the ball and had some turnovers which sort of works into LSU's style of play. As this team grows it will continue to develop the will to win, the killer instinct and composure needed week-in and week-out. The team that will eventually win the SEC this year likely won't go through its schedule unscathed. We have four total points in the league after the first weekend, no losses and are excited to be at home again next week against Vanderbilt and Kentucky."

LSU posted the first scoring opportunity of the contest just 2:35 in as a pass ahead to forward Carlie Banks in some space on the right side was blasted into Baird's waiting arms from about 10 yards out.

Following a long period of action in the midfield LSU's Emily Cancienne had a shot from about 15 yards out blocked in front by the UT defense. Then forward Courtney Alexander forced a routine Baird stop from about 22 yards out on the right wing.

Tennessee didn't post its initial shot of the match until the 18:55 mark, but made sure when it did to do so with some quality. After a UT corner kick, Hall eventually headed a ball on frame that hit the crossbar and rebounded back out into the middle of the 18. Harrison raced in quickly to drive home the rebound from about 12 yards and beat Kinneman to grant the Big Orange a 1-0 advantage.

The Tigers continued to pressure over the next few minutes as Alexander forced a pair of Baird saves, including one, off a bending shot from deep out on the left wing, that required Baird to dive fully extended and punch the ball out of harm's way.

Both squads managed shots over the remainder of the first half, but none troubled the keepers as the teams went to the locker room with UT leading by a goal.

Out of the halftime break neither squad could put together an offensive assault as early play moved back-and-forth in the midfield.

At 51:30 a cross from LSU's Martineau out on the right wing traveled into the middle of the 18-yard box and was headed just over the crossbar by Alexander.

That seemed to ignite both offenses as Tennessee responded quickly with junior forward Chelsea Hatcher and junior midfielder Emily Shore forcing Kinneman saves with drives at 54:48 and 56:36, respectively.

A quick LSU counter-attack the other way saw LSU's Alexander beat a defender inside the 18, move in and fire a shot at the right post that Baird managed to smother at 56:57.

Hatcher managed to locate some room on the right side during the 77th minute and attempted to re-create her late-match heroics from Friday night's victory by sneaking a goal just inside the upright. On this occasion, however, the Cincinnati, Ohio, native's shot traveled harmlessly just outside the post.

Tennessee forced two more Kinneman saves at 80:41 and 82:38. The first came off a Harrison shot following a Dowd pass, and the second off a drive by senior forward Anna Fisher.

With the Tigers pressing hard for an equalizer, the ball was looped into the LSU offensive zone during the 87th minute. After ricocheting around in the crowd out front, the sphere eventually managed to venture from Allysha Chapman to Martineau who scored to the right of Baird at 87:02 and dead-locked the scoreboard at 1-1.

UT managed a couple of late chances in regulation but saw a shot at 88:05 by sophomore midfielder Kylie Bono get blocked and one from Dowd at 88:13 travel high of frame.

That meant for the first time in 2010 the Big Orange would be required to play extra time. UT managed the initial opportunity of the first "sudden victory" period as Hatcher raced up the right side and fired a shot just wide left of the upright.

Banks registered a quality chance for the Tigers at 96:26 but launched a header just outside the right post. Another LSU shot by Alexander at 97:48 ventured well high of net.

Perhaps the best chance during the first overtime occurred in the 99th minute as Dowd managed some space on the right side off a counter-attack and fired a shot from 12 yards out that was blocked. The rebound traveled to Bono in the middle, and she blasted away right into the arms of Kinneman for a save.

The Lady Vols dominated the final OT period, out-shooting LSU by a 7-0 total. It looked as if the Lady Vols had managed the match-winner at 103:56 as Dowd got free on the left side of frame and headed a ball over the keeper and toward goal. Unfortunately for Tennessee, the defender Murphy managed to get just enough of a touch on the ball to save it from the goal mouth and eventually clear it out of harm's way.

That proved the best chance for either team in the final extra session as the two squads were forced to settle for the 1-1 tie.



Official Online Store

This week on sale:

    Tennessee Auction

    BID NOW! >>