Feb. 11, 2014
|Fri., Feb. 14||#1 Tennessee 5, Pittsburgh 0||6:15 p.m. ET||Recap | Box Score|
|Fri., Feb. 14||#1 Tennessee 10, Binghamton (5)||8:30 p.m. ET||Recap | Box Score|
|Sat., Feb. 15||#1 Tennessee 3, USF 2||5:10 p.m. ET||Recap | Box Score|
|Sat., Feb. 15||#1 Tennessee (A) vs. Illinois||10:40 p.m. ET||Recap | Box Score|
|Sun., Feb. 16||#1 Tennessee (H) vs. Wright State||11:15 a.m. ET||Live Audio | Live Stats|
NO. 1 TENNESSEE
- USA TODAY/NFCA Top 25 Poll (2/11): 1 (19 first-place votes)
- ESPN.com/USA Softball Top 25 (2/11): 2 (11 first-place votes)
- No. 1 Tennessee opened the season with a 4-0 showing in the Eagle Round Robin last week, earning two wins against Northern Colorado before defeating two-time Southern Conference champ Georgia Southern and Oakland.
- UT leads the SEC with a .376 team batting average enterin this weekend's games.
- In the 2014 season opener against Northern Colorado on Feb. 7, freshman Megan Geer went 4-for-4 with two RBIs, one run and one stolen base. Geer is the only Tennessee player to start a season with four hits since at least 2001 (records go back to 2001). Geer's four-hit game was just the ninth time since 2003 that a freshman has recorded four hits in a game. She is the sixth Tennessee freshman since 2003 to have a four-hit game. The others were Kristi Durant (2003), Shannon Doepking (2005), Jessica Spigner (2009), Raven Chavanne (four times in 2010) and Kat Dotson (2010).
- Sophomore Lexi Overstreet hit UT's first home run of the season, belting a two-RBI shot to right center in the fifth inning of the Lady Vols' 8-3 win over Northern Colorado on Feb. 8.
- Senior pitcher Ellen Renfroe posted a pair of shutouts to start the 2014 season, fanning 15 batters and allowing just three hits over 12 shutouts frames to earn wins over Northern Colorado and Georgia Southern. Renfroe now has 56 complete games, moving past older sister Ivy Renfroe (55) for fifth place on Tennessee's all-time complete-games list. She also has 31 career shutouts, a total that is second only to Monica Abbott's 112.
- Entering this weekend's games, Geer ranks second in the SEC with a .600 batting average. Taylor Koenig, Cheyanne Tarango and Shaliyah Geathers are each hitting .500 to start the season.
- Sophomore Haley Tobler made her first career start against Oakland on Feb. 9. She finished 2-for-5 with two runs scored.
- Junior Alley Perkins recorded a hit in her first at-bat as a Lady Vol. On Feb. 9 against Oakland, Perkins entered the game as a pinch hitter with two outs in the fifth inning. On a full count, she legged out a single back to the circle.
USF Softball Stadium
3/2/01 UT W, 5-2
LP - Savannah King (2-3)
SCOUTING THE PANTHERS
- Pitt opened its 2014 season in California, going 3-2 with two wins at CSU Bakersfield and one win against Loyola Marymount. The Panthers lost at Cal State Fullerton, 7-4, on Feb. 8 and fell to No. 2 Oklahoma, 2-1, on Feb. 9.
- Ashlee Sills leads the team with a .444 batting average, going 4-for-9. Jordan Fannin is batting .400 (6-for-15). Maggie Sevilla (.375 BA, two HRs, seven RBIs), Carissa Throckmorton (.333 BA, two doubles, one triple, one homer, two RBIs) and Carly Thea (.286 BA, two HRs, six RBIs) have been Pitt's primary run producers.
- Savannah King is Pitt's top pitcher. She is 2-2 with a 2.47 ERA and 14 strikeouts over 22.2 innings so far this season.
- Last season, Pitt went 19-29 and 8-14 in the BIG EAST. The Panthers return eight starters and 14 letterwinners from last year.
- All-time Series: UT leads, 1-0
- March 2, 2001: Tennessee 5, Pittsburgh 2
- Tennessee and Pittsburgh have played each other just once before. On March 2, 2001, UT took a 5-2 win over Pitt in Statesboro, Ga. Janettte Koshell had a double and three RBIs and Melissa Radley went 2-for-4 with two RBIs. Nicole Borg earned the win after striking out three and allowing two earned runs over seven frames.
USF Softball Stadium
2013 Record: 16-30-1
LP - Wiesinger (0-1)
SCOUTING THE BEARCATS
- Binghamton went 30-17 in 2013 and the Bearcats return their top four hitters from last year in Jessica Bump (.349 BA, 10 HRs, 11 2Bs, 36 RBIs, 16 SBs), Lisa Cadogan (.333 BA, eight HRs, 13 2Bs, 38 RBIs), Sydney Harbaugh (.319 BA, two doubles, nine RBIs, 28 SBs) and Taylor Chaffee (.291 BA, nine HRs, 12 2Bs, 34 RBIs).
- Binghamton brings back its ace from last season in Demi Laney. Laney went 15-8 with a 2.52 ERA and 171 strikeouts over 164.0 innings pitched.
- All-time Series: UT and Binghamton will play each other for the first time on Friday.
USF Softball Stadium
Series History (Last 3):
3/11/06 UT W, 8-0 (6)
2/17/08 USF W, 4-1
2/16/13 UT W, 11-0