March 11, 2014
|Tues., March 11||#3/2 Tennessee vs. Western Carolina||5 p.m. ET||Live Video | Live Stats|
NO. 3/2 TENNESSEE
- USA TODAY/NFCA Top 25 Poll (3/4): 3 (1 first-place vote)
- ESPN.com/USA Softball Top 25 (3/4): 2 (1 first-place vote)
- Tennessee went 6-1 on the week with a pair of run-rule wins over Wright State on March 5, followed by wins against Holy Cross, Campbell, Georgia Southern and College of Charleston during the Tennessee Tournament (March 7-9).
- Senior Madison Shipman recorded a hit in each game to tie the single-season school record of 20 consecutive games with a hit - a record previously set by Kristi Durant from March 20, 2003, to April 13, 2003. The UT hitting streak record is 24 games over two seasons by Sarah Fekete (2004 and 2005 seasons).
- Sophomore Rainey Gaffin tossed a six-strikeout, six-inning no-hitter against Wright State on March 5, in her first collegiate start as a pitcher. Gaffin is the first UT player to throw a no-no in her first start in the circle since Monica Abbott did so in 2004.
- Senior Ellen Renfroe was 3-0 with a save on the week over five appearances and three starts. Renfroe tossed 24 scoreless innings last week and is on a season-high streak of 31 consecutive innings without allowing an earned run.
- Tennessee hosts Western Carolina on March 11 at 5 p.m. before heading to Fayetteville, Ark., to open its SEC schedule with three games at Arkansas from March 14-16.
- UT is batting .313 as a team. Shipman has a team-high .429 batting average with six doubles, seven home runs, 17 RBIs, 22 runs, an .814 slugging percentage and a .524 on-base percentage.
- Tennessee's pitchers have combined for a 1.24 ERA. Senior ace Ellen Renfroe is 12-0 wwith a 0.50 ERA over 15 appearances and 11 starts. She has fanned 108 batters over 83.1 innings and held opponents to a .156 batting average.
Sherri Parker Lee Stadium
4/9/08, UT W, 11-0 (5)
4/9/08, UT W, 11-3 (5)
4/8/10, UT W, 14-0 (5)
4/8/10, UT W, 11-0 (5)
4/1/13, UT W, 11-2 (5)
SCOUTING THE CATAMOUNTS
- Western Carolina is 9-13 on the season and coming off a 3-2 weekend in the UCF Tournament in Orlando, Fla. The Catamounts are 0-5 in road games this year.
- The Catamounts are hitting .240 as a team and averaging 2.6 runs per game. Karley Harkey and Taylor Sigmon are each batting a team-high .309 and have nine RBIs apiece. Kara Alvo is the team's top power hitter, batting .290 with three homers, one double and 12 RBIs.
- Western Carolina's pitchers have combined for 3.97 ERA. Jordan Garrett has logged the most innings, going 2-9 over 14 appearances and 13 starts with 69 strkeouts over 60.0 frames. Courtney Buchanan is 4-0 with a 3.53 ERA and 35 Ks over 39.2 innings.
- All-time Series: UT leads, 5-0