March 17, 2014
|Tues., March 18||#2 Tennessee vs. Middle Tennessee||7 p.m. ET||Live Audio | Live Stats|
NO. 2 TENNESSEE
- ESPN.com/USA Softball Top 25 (3/11): 2 (2 first-place vote)
- USA TODAY/NFCA Top 25 Poll (3/11): 4
- No. 2 Tennessee went 3-1 on the week with a big 15-0 (5) win over Western Carolina on March 11 and a 2-1 showing in its SEC season-opening series at Arkansas from March 14-16.
- UT's 15 runs in the win over the Catamounts were a season high and the most runs the Lady Vols had put on the scoreboard since scoring 15 in a 15-5 (6) win at Ole Miss on April 20, 2013. The 15-run margin of victory was Tennessee's largest since winning by 18 in a 19-1 (5) triumph over Tennessee State on April 2, 2013. The Lady Vols tallied 14 hits in the win, its most since knocking 15 hits in a 14-3 romp against Oakland on Feb. 9.
- Tennessee defeated Arkansas, 9-2, in its SEC opener on March 14 in Fayetteville, Ark. UT is now 12-6 all-time in SEC openers and has won its conference opener in its last three seasons. The Lady Vols and Razorbacks rescheduled the last two games of their season series into a doubleheader on Saturday due to inclement weather expected for Sunday. Arkansas took the second game, 5-4, and UT answered with an 8-0 (6) win in the third game.
- Melissa Davin was on fire in the batter's box last week, hitting .636 (7-for-11)with two home runs, including a grand slam, and nine RBIs. Rainey Gaffin hit .667 (8-for-12) and freshman Annie Aldrete hit her first grand slam and finished with two homers and seven RBIs. Ellen Renfroe continued to dominate in the circle, going 3-0 with a 0.44 ERA, two complete games, one shutout and 16 strikeouts over 16 innings.
- Aldrete was named SEC Freshman of the week. Aldrete is the first UT freshman to earn that honor since Ellen Renfroe was named SEC Freshman of the Week on April 4, 2011.
- UT is batting .326 as a team. Madison Shipman has a team-high .434 batting average with eight doubles, seven home runs, 19 RBIs, 24 runs, a .783 slugging percentage and a .535 on-base percentage.
- Five Lady Vols are hitting .333 or better, including Shipman (.434), Aldrete (.389), Megan Geer (.353), Davin (.333) and Haley Tobler (.333).
- Tennessee's pitchers have combined for a 1.30 ERA. Senior ace Ellen Renfroe is 15-0 with a 0.49 ERA over 18 appearances and 14 starts. She has fanned 124 batters over 99.1 innings and Renfroe has held opponents to a .151 batting average.
- Renfroe's 0.49 ERA entering this week ranks second in the nation.
- Tuesday's game will mark the first time UT faces an in-state opponent this season. Ralph Weekly and Karen Weekly are 73-0 against in-state foes. UT has won 78-straight games against in-state opponents and the Lady Vols are 107-3 all-time against teams from the state of Tennessee.
(24-3, 2-1 SEC)
(6-22, 1-5 C-USA)
Series History (Last 3):
3/18/09, UT W, 6-5
3/31/10, UT W, 9-1 (5)
3/4/12, UT W, 6-3
SCOUTING THE BLUE RAIDERS
- The Blue Raiders are coming off a 1-2 series showing at Southern Miss this past weekend.
- Middle Tennessee is hitting .255 as a team. Kayla Toney leads the team with a .340 batting average, 32 hits, six home runs and 23 RBIs. Laura Dukes is batting .338 with a team-high nine doubles along with one homer and 12 RBIs.
- MTSU's pitchers have combined for a 4.58 ERA. The trio of Jordy Fisherback (3-7, 3.88 ERA), Shelby Stinnett (1-10, 4.24 ERA) and Caitlin McClure (2-5, 5.51 ERA) have just about evenly split their time in the circle.
- All-time Series: UT leads, 17-1