Jan. 21, 2013
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - On the final day of the UVA Winter Invitational, the University of Tennessee women's tennis team battled against No. 13 Northwestern and came away with four wins.
"We finished off the tournament strong. I am really pleased with the improvement in the team from yesterday to today," said co-head coach Mike Patrick. "Their energy level and focus were much better. This weekend we competed against three good teams, and it will help to prepare us for next week at the ITA Kickoff Weekend."
Two of the wins came at the hands of Brynn Boren who, alongside Kata Szekely, went undefeated in doubles play on the weekend to earn the honor of UVA Winter Invitational Doubles Champions. Boren, with two wins on the weekend at No. 1 singles, was named Co-Singles Champion alongside UVA's Julia Elbaba and Northwestern's Kate Turvy.
"It is nice to once again have tournament champions in in Kata and Brynn in singles and doubles," said Patrick. "They battled this weekend."
The Lady Vols began the day on a positive note taking two of three in the doubles round. No. 41 ranked Joanna Henderson and Caitlyn Williams jumped out to a quick lead and continued on to an easy 8-2 finish over Brittany Wowchuk and Belinda Niu.
Despite dropping behind 0-3 early, the No. 12 doubles duo of Boren and Szekely rebounded and scored eight of the next nine points to come away with an 8-4 win over No. 42 Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton.
The win was the 20th of the season for Boren and Szekely and 10th over a ranked opponent. The duo finished the weekend undefeated.
In singles play, Boren and Szekely kept their momentum going as Kata walked off with an easy 6-1, 6-1 victory over Alicia Barnett for the first singles win on the day while Boren finished up a little while later with a 6-2, 6-2 win over No. 67 Kate Turvy.
At No. 3 singles, Williams battled in a three-hour, three set match, ultimately falling 1-6, 6-3, 3-6 to Niu while her doubles teammate Henderson dropped a 6-4, 6-2 decision to Wowchuk.
For the second day in a row, Mimi Fotopoulos forced the first set to a tiebreak and for the second day in a row came away with the first set victory. Unlike her match Sunday, Fotopoulos went on to take the second set for a 7-6 (3), 6-2 win.
Tiffany Tavares came out on fire earning a shutout win in the first set of her match at No. 6 singles. Tavares faltered a little in the second set dropping it 5-7 and could not regain momentum ultimately falling 6-0, 5-7, 3-6.
The Lady Vols will return to action next weekend on Saturday, January 26 when they take part in the ITA Kickoff Weekend in Lincoln, Neb. The event marks the first official weekend of dual play in 2013.
1. No. 12 Brynn Boren/Kata Szekely UT def. No. 42 Linda Abu Mushrefova/Nida Hamilton Northwestern 8-4
2. No. 41 Joanna Henderson/Caitlyn Williams UT def. Brittany Wowchuk/Belinda Niu Northwestern 8-2
3. Alicia Barnett/Kate Turvy Northwestern def. Tiffany Tavares/Sarah Toti UT 8-2
1. No. 23 Brynn Boren UT def. No. 67 Kate Turvy Northwestern 6-2, 6-2
2. No. 25 Kata Szekely UT def. Alicia Barnett Northwestern 6-1, 6-1
3. Belinda Niu Northwestern def. Caitlyn Williams UT 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
4. Brittany Wowchuk Northwestern def. Joanna Henderson UT 6-4, 6-2
5. Mimi Fotopoulos UT def. Nida Hamilton Northwestern 7-6 (3), 6-2
6. Veronica Corning Northwestern def. Tiffany Tavares UT 0-6, 7-5, 6-3