Jan. 25, 2014
CLEMSON, S.C. - It all came down to No. 6 singles and freshman Laurence Guevremont did not disappoint helping the No. 32 Tennessee women's tennis team to a 4-3 comeback victory over No. 27 Purdue Saturday in the opening round of ITA Kickoff Weekend.
Guevremont took to the court with the Lady Vols down 3-2 and after Victoria Olivarez captured a 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 5 singles she fought to earn match point with a gritty 6-3, 6-2 win.
The Lady Vols began the day in a tough doubles battle with Purdue. Eve Repic and Laurence Guevremont fell 6-1 at No. 2 doubles to start the day off but the No. 3 doubles pair of Tiffany Tavares and Victoria Olivarez evened things up at one-all with a 6-3 victory.
The doubles point came down to a tiebreak on court one that Purdue eked out 6-5 to head into singles with the 1-0 advantage.
The Boilermakers jumped out to a 2-0 lead as Lindl fell on court three 6-2, 6-1, but Tennessee rallied to even it up with comeback victories by Tavares at No. 4 singles, 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (8), and Repic at No. 1, 6-3, 6-4. Repic came back from a 4-3 deficit to earn the win.
The Lady Vols will return to action in the Championship game of the ITA Kickoff Weekend when they face the winner/loser of the No. 13 Clemson vs. No. 56 Fresno State match up to be played Saturday afternoon.
1. #53 Eve Repic (UT) def. Lynda Xepoleas (Purdue) 6-3, 6-4
2. #110 Mara Schmidt (Purdue) def. #99 Joanna Henderson (UT) 6-3, 6-3
3. Daniela Vidal (Purdue) def. Brittany Lindl (UT) 6-2, 6-1
4. Tiffany Tavares (UT) def. Nicole Robinson (Purdue) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (8)
5. Victoria Olivarez (UT) def. Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum (Purdue) 6-2, 7-5
6. Laurence Guevremont (UT) def. Krisztina Kapitany (Purdue) 6-3, 6-2
1. Krisztina Kapitany/Mara Schmidt (Purdue) def. Joanna Henderson/Brittany Lindl (UT) 6-5
2. Daniela Vidal/Lynda Xepoleas (Purdue) def. Laurence Guevremont/Eve Repic (UT) 6-1
3. Tiffany Tavarez/Victoria Olivarez (UT) def. Nicole Robinson/Natalia Davila (Purdue) 6-3