Feb. 12, 2011
By Donnie Conley, Media Relations Student Assistant
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The No. 11-ranked University of Tennessee Lady Vol tennis team improved its record to 5-0 with a 5-2 victory over No. 44 Indiana on Saturday afternoon at the Goodfriend Indoor Tennis Center.
Tennessee had to grind, with four matches going the full three sets. Still, the Big Orange was able to dig deep and pull out a victory over a tough Indiana team.
Sonia Hahn-Patrick on her team's 5-2 win over Indiana
"We competed hard," UT co-head coach Sonia Hahn-Patrick said. "Indiana is a very disciplined team and you have to match them mentally to compete with them. We did a good job of that today."
UT was without freshman Brynn Boren, whose 19 victories are a team-high. In her absence, Hahn-Patrick said the team was counting on its experienced players to get the job done.
"You always want to be able to rely on your seniors," Hahn-Patrick said. "They knew what needed to be done and they did a great job of stepping up today."
Seniors Rosalía Alda and Maria Sorbello paired up to take a victory at No. 2 doubles. Both players also won their singles matches in three sets. The team's other senior, Jennifer Meredith, was victorious at the No. 3 doubles position.
Alda clinched the victory for the Orange and White with a 6-3, 1-6, 6-2, win over Evgeniya Vertesheva at No. 2 singles.
"I knew that my match was important," Alda said. "Coach (Mike Patrick) told me to make sure that I stayed focused. Before the match, we knew that we were missing one of our best players, so everyone had to bring their play up a notch."
The win improves Tennessee's record against Big Ten teams to 54-7 over the past 12 seasons.
UT won't get much time to soak up this victory as the team returns to action tomorrow at 1 p.m. ET against No. 56 Wake Forest.
"Wake Forest is a good team," Hahn-Patrick said. "This is great preparation for us. Next week, we'll have to play three in a row at the ITA Team Indoors. It's one thing to prepare physically, but preparing mentally is more difficult. Our girls will be ready to play."
Fans are reminded to follow the Lady Vols on Twitter at www.twitter.com/UTLadyVols. Become a fan of Lady Vol tennis on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ladyvoltennis
#11 Tennessee 5, #44 Indiana 2
1. #91 Leslie Hureau (IND) def. Natalie Pluskota (TENN) 7-5, 6-3
2. #87 Rosalia Alda (TENN) def. Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
3. #116 Maria Sorbello (TENN) def. Katya Zapadalova (IND) 6-4, 1-6, 6-1
4. Charlotte Martin (IND) def. Kata Szekely (TENN) 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
5. Millie Nichols (TENN) def. Kayla Fujimoto (IND) 6-4, 6-1
6. Whitney Wofford (TENN) def. Myriam Sopel (IND) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
1. Millie Nichols/Natalie Pluskota (TENN) def. Myriam Sopel/Katya Zapadalova (IND) 8-4
2. Rosalia Alda/Maria Sorbello (TENN) def. #68 Kayla Fujimoto/Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) 8-4
3. Kata Szekely/Jennifer Meredith (TENN) def. #68 Leslie Hureau/Sophie Garre (IND) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,1,3,2,4,6)