Feb. 16, 2014
KNOXVILLE - Tennessee Co-Head Coach Mike Patrick earned career victory No. 500 as the University of Tennessee women's tennis team rolled over Chattanooga 7-0 on Sunday afternoon to complete the doubleheader sweep.
"It is fun. You don't get 500 wins without having good players," said Patrick. "I am happy to have these guys here in my umpteenth years of coaching. It has been fun."
Patrick, who is officially in his 30th season as a head coach, 27th at Tennessee, becomes just the 10th ever Division I tennis coach to hit the 500-win mark. He currently boasts a 500-294 career record.
The veteran earned his 444th career win while at the University of Tennessee, he previously accumulated 47 wins as the women's head coach at Kentucky (1984-86) before leaving to become the head coach of the Arkansas men for one season (1987, nine wins). Patrick began his career at Tennessee in the 1988 season.
"To play twice in a day and really execute well and bring home a couple wins," said Patrick, that is just great."
The Lady Vols did not give up a single point on the entire day. UT combined for a 4-0 victory over Belmont earlier Sunday.
The Lady Vols swept Chattanooga on the court with Eve Repic and Victoria Olivarez combining for a 8-2 No. 2 doubles victory while Brittany Lindl and Ambika Pande solidified the point with a 8-6 win at No. 3 doubles to give UT a 1-0 edge heading into singles play.
Tennessee continued to roll in singles action. Lindl added to the lead with a 6-0, 6-0 sweep at No. 5 singles.
Repic followed suit with a 6-4, 6-2 victory of her own from court one and Laurence Guevremont captured the match winning point with a 6-2, 6-0 victory at No. 4 singles.
Tennessee completed the sweep as Tiffany Tavares went 6-2, 6-2 from court six, Victoria Olivarez came back in the second set for a 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 3 singles and Henderson rounded out the match with a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 2 singles.
The Lady Vols will return to action on the road next weekend beginning on Friday, February 21 at Ohio State at 4 p.m. The weekend road trip will conclude at No. 36 Indiana with an 11 a.m. match on Sunday, February 23.
Tennis Match Results
Chattanooga vs Tennessee
Feb 16, 2014 at Knoxville, Tenn.
(Goodfriend Tennis Center)
#27 Tennessee 7, Chattanooga 0
1. #63 Eve Repic (UT) def. Kayla Jones (UTC) 6-4, 6-2
2. Joanna Henderson (UT) def. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) 6-3, 6-1
3. Victoria Olivarez (UT) def. Alexa Flynn (UTC) 6-2, 7-5
4. Laurence Guevremont (UT) def. Kelsey Coots (UTC) 6-2, 6-0
5. Brittany Lindl (UT) def. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Tiffany Tavares (UT) def. Alison Storie (UTC) 6-2, 6-2
1. Joanna Henderson/Laurence Guevremont (UT) vs. Kayla Jones/Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) 7-4, unfinished
2. Eve Repic/Victoria Olivarez (UT) def. Alexa Flynn/Kelsey Coots (UTC) 8-2
3. Brittany Lindl/Ambika Pande (UT) def. Rachele Gazzola/Claire Mulyadi (UTC) 8-6
Tennessee 3-3; National ranking #27
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,1,4,6,3,2)