March 2, 2013
KNOXVILLE - In its SEC home opener, the University of Tennessee women's tennis team (2-5) fell 6-1 to No. 7 Georgia (7-1) at the Goodfriend Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
The Lady Vols' lone point came via a singles win by No. 21 Brynn Boren who upset ninth-ranked Lauren Herring on court one.
Tennessee battled in doubles action but could not come away with the doubles point as a late rally by Georgia gave the Dawgs the first point of the match.
Caitlyn Williams and Joanna Henderson came out on a mission on court two finishing first and easily coming away with an 8-2 doubles win over the nation's 34th ranked team of Lilly Kimbell and Maho Kowase. The win was the first over a ranked opponent for Williams and Henderson in 2013.
Georgia bounced back however, as No. 9 Kate Fuller and Silvia Garcia snapped No. 5 Brynn Boren and Kata Szekely's five-match win streak with an 8-5 win on court one, handing the Lady Vol duo just its fifth loss of the season.
Sealing the win on court three was the newly formed duo of Mia King and Makenzie Craft who battled back and forth with Mimi Fotopoulos and Sarah Toti using a late break to propel them to an 8-5 win and the doubles point.
Boren tied the match up at one-all for the moment, upsetting Herring on court one by a 6-2, 6-3 score.
Georgia, however, retook the lead, and clinched the match in a matter of minutes as No. 97 Silvia Garcia defeated Caitlyn Williams 6-1, 6-2 on court three, Makenzie Craft beat Tiffany Tavares 6-3, 6-1 on court six and Mimi Fotopoulos fell to Mia King 6-2, 6-0 on court five.
No. 43 Kata Szekely and Joanna Henderson each forced a third set on courts two and four respectively, but just didn't have enough in them to complete the comeback as Szekely fell 4-6, 6-2, 0-1 (10-4) to 15th ranked Kowase while Henderson dropped a 3-6, 6-4, 0-6 decision to #116 Kate Fuller.
The Lady Vols return to action next weekend closing out their five-game homestand with SEC matches against Mississippi State and Ole Miss beginning Friday, March 8 at 5 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia vs Tennessee
March 2, 2013 at Knoxville, Tenn.
(Goodfriend Tennis Center)
#7 Georgia 6, #57 Tennessee 1
1. #21 Brynn Boren(UT) def. #9 Lauren Herring (UGA) 6-2, 6-3
2. #15 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. #43 Kata Szekely (UT) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-4)
3. #97 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Caitlyn Williams (UT) 6-1, 6-2
4. #116 Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Joanna Henderson (UT) 6-3, 4-6, 6-0
5. Mia King (UGA) def. Mimi Fotopoulos (UT) 6-2, 6-0
6. Makenzie Craft (UGA) def. Tiffany Tavares (UT) 6-3, 6-1
1. #9 Kate Fuller/Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. #5 Brynn Boren/Kata Szekely (UT) 8-5
2. Joanna Henderson/Caitlyn Williams (UT) def. #34 Lilly Kimbell/Maho Kowase (UGA) 8-2
3. Mia King/Makenzie Craft (UGA) def. Sarah Toti/Mimi Fotopoulos (UT) 8-4
Georgia 7-1; National ranking #7
Tennessee 2-5; National ranking #57
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,3,6,5,4,2)