March 28, 2014
KNOXVILLE - It was the bottom of the lineup that sealed the victory for the University of Tennessee women's tennis team as the Lady Vols notched a 4-1 victory over Missouri Friday night at the Goodfriend Tennis Center.
Freshmen Victoria Olivarez, Brittany Lindl, and Laurence Guevremont tallied the second, third and fourth points of the match for the Lady Vols from the 6th, 5th, and 4th singles slots to help UT to its second-straight win.
With the win, UT improves to 9-9 on the year, 3-5 in SEC play while Missouri drops to 6-16 overall and is still winless in eight conference matches.
With victories at Nos. 1 and 2 doubles the Lady Vols got out to a 1-0 lead for the first time in SEC action and just the fifth time this season after capturing the doubles point.
Caitlyn Williams and Joanna Henderson paired up for the third time this spring, earning their second victory and first in SEC play with an 8-4 win on court one. Laurence Guevremont and Eve Repic coupled up on court two for another 8-4 win to seal the doubles point.
Tennessee jumped out to a 2-0 lead when Victoria Olivarez cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 victory on court six losing her only game on the day in the first game of the second set.
Lindl, who jumped out to a one set lead with a 6-1 win in the first set, came back from a 1-4 deficit in the second, rallying off five straight games to win her bout 6-1, 6-4.
Guevremont sealed the win for Tennessee with a yell downing her Tiger opponent 6-2, 6-1 on court four as the Lady Vols achieved the 4-1 win.
Tennessee will be back in action on Sunday, March 30 at Noon against No. 7 Texas A&M.
Tennis Match Results
Missouri vs Tennessee
Mar 28, 2014 at Knoxville, Tenn.
(Goodfriend Tennis Center)
#39 Tennessee 4, Missouri 1
1. Cierra Gaytan-Leach (MU) def. #94 Eve Repic (UT) 6-2, 6-2
2. Caitlyn Williams (UT) vs. Kelli Hine (MU) 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
3. Joanna Henderson (UT) vs. Rachel Stuhlmann (MU) 6-3, 2-2, unfinished
4. Laurence Guevremont (UT) def. Madison Rhyner (MU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Brittany Lindl (UT) def. Cassidy Spearman (MU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Victoria Olivarez (UT) def. Tracy Dong (MU) 6-0, 6-1
1. #75 Joanna Henderson/Caitlyn Williams (UT) def. Cierra Gaytan-Leach/Rachel Stuhlmann (MU) 8-4
2. Eve Repic/Laurence Guevremont (UT) def. Madison Rhyner/Cassidy Spearman (MU) 8-4
3. Brittany Lindl/Victoria Olivarez (UT) vs. Kelli Hine/Tracy Dong (MU) 6-5, unfinished
Missouri 6-16, (0-8 SEC)
Tennessee 9-9, (3-5 SEC); National ranking #39
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (6,1,5,4)