April 4, 2014
BATON ROUGE, La. - With her first win of the spring season, junior Caitlyn Williams captured the match point in the University of Tennessee women's tennis team's 4-3 victory at LSU Friday night.
Williams, who started the first set off slowly forcing a tiebreak situation, won the tie break and turned on the engines to reel off a 7-6 (5), 6-2 victory to give the Lady Vols their 10th win of the year.
The Lady Vols improve to 10-10 on the year with the win, 4-6 in SEC action while LSU drops to 10-11 in 2014 and 2-9 in conference play.
The Lady Vols started the match off with a 1-0 lead after capturing the doubles point for just the second time in SEC play and the first time on the road in conference action. UT got on the board first for the sixth time this season.
Williams and Joanna Henderson combined for their 10th victory of the year, and the first of the day for the Lady Vols, with an 8-2 win on court one over Noel Scott and Ariel Morton. Brittany Lindl and Victoria Olivarez sealed the deal on court three with a, 8-6 victory, their first together as a doubles pair. Eve Repic and Laurence Guevremont were up 7-6 on court two when play was halted.
Repic extended Tennessee's lead to 2-0 when she took down No. 88 Joana Vale Costa 6-3, 6-2. The nation's 94th ranked player, Repic, earned her seventh win over a ranked opponent this season.
But as soon as the Lady Vols extended their lead, LSU took it away as Tennessee fell on courts six (6-3, 6-3), three (6-1, 6-3) and four (6-2, 6-1) to take a 3-2 match lead.
Lindl evened things out for Tennessee, coming back from a 5-6 deficit in the first set to win the tiebreak and taking off for the 7-6 (4), 6-2 victory.
It all came down to Williams and the junior didn't disappoint, turning on the jets at the right moment and capturing the win for UT.
The Lady Vols are back in action on Sunday afternoon when they head to Fayetteville, Ark. for a 1 p.m. meeting with the Razorbacks.
Tennis Match Results
Tennessee vs LSU
April 4, 2014 at Baton Rouge, La.
(W.T. "Dub" Robinson Stadium)
#45 Tennessee 4, #54 LSU 3
1. #94 Eve Repic (UT) def. #88 Joana Vale Costa (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Caitlyn Williams (UT) def. Noel Scott (LSU) 7-6 (5), 6-2
3. Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Joanna Henderson (UT) 6-1, 6-3
4. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Laurence Guevremont (UT) 6-2, 6-1
5. Brittany Lindl (UT) def. Gabrielle Otero (LSU) 7-6 (4), 6-2
6. Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Victoria Olivarez (UT) 6-3, 6-3
1. #75 Caitlyn Williams/Joanna Henderson (UT) def. Noel Scott/Ariel Morton (LSU) 8-2
2. Eve Repic/Laurence Guevremont (UT) def. Joana Vale Costa/Skylar Holloway (LSU) 7-6
3. Brittany Lindl/Victoria Olivarez (UT) def. Abigail Owens/Gabrielle Otero (LSU) 8-6
Tennessee 10-10 (4-6); National ranking #45
LSU 10-11 (2-9); National ranking #54
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,6,3,4,5,2)