April 6, 2014
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - For the first time in SEC competition, the No. 45 University of Tennessee women's tennis team swept its opponent with a 4-0 victory over No. 47 Arkansas Sunday afternoon.
With the victory, the Lady Vols improve to 11-10 on the season and 5-6 in conference action while Arkansas falls to 13-14 in 2014 and 2-10 in SEC action.
The win puts Tennessee over .500 for the first time since winning their opening match over Purdue back on January 25.
The Lady Vols captured the doubles point for the second straight match with victories on courts one and two. Joanna Henderson and Caitlyn Williams won their third straight doubles match and 11th of the year with an 8-1 win on court one. Eve Repic and Laurence Guevremont sealed the win with an 8-4 victory at No. 2 doubles.
The momentum from doubles play carried into singles as UT took the first set on all six courts.
Tennessee garnered a 2-0 lead as Brittany Lindl got UT's first singles win on the day with a 6-1, 6-3 victory on court five. The lead extended to 3-0 when Victoria Olivarez battled to a 6-3, 6-3 win on court six.
Guevremont captured the match winner for the Lady Vols with a comeback 7-5, 6-1 win on court four. Down in the first set, Guevremont battled back to a 7-5 victory, forging on for the straight set win.
The Lady Vols return home next weekend for their regular season finale when they take on Auburn and Alabama. The weekend will begin on April 11 at 4 p.m. vs. the Tigers and conclude on Senior Day, April 13 at 1 p.m. vs. the Crimson Tide.
Tennis Match Results
Tennessee vs Arkansas
April 6, 2014 at Fayetteville, Ark.
(George M. Billingsley Tennis Center)
#45 Tennessee 4, #47 Arkansas 0
1. No. 94 Eve Repic (UT) led Shannon Hudson (ARK) 7-5, 2-5 unf.
2. Caitlyn Williams (UT) led Yang Pang (ARK) 6-0, 5-3 unf.
3. Joanna Henderson (UT) led Sarah McLean (ARK) 6-4, 3-4, unf.
4. Laurence Guevremont (UT) def. Oleksandra Shkorupeieva (ARK) 7-5, 6-1
5. Brittany Lindl (UT) def. Kimberley - Ann Surin (ARK) 6-1, 6-3
6. Victoria Olivarez (UT) def. Brittany Huxley (ARK) 6-3, 6-3
1. No. 75 Henderson/Wiliiams (UT) def. Surin/Huxley (ARK) 8-1
2. Repic/Guevremong (UT) def. Pang/Shkorupeieva (ARK) 8-4
3. Lindi/Olivarez (UT) led McLean/Hudson (ARK) 5-4 unf.
Tennessee 11-10 (6-6); National ranking #45
Arkansas 13-14, 2-10 SEC; National ranking #47
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,6,4)