April 12, 2011
By Donnie Conley, Media Relations Student Assistant
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The No. 16-ranked University of Tennessee Lady Vol tennis team lost its second straight Southeastern Conference match on Tuesday, falling 5-2 to No. 23 Alabama at the Alabama Tennis Stadium.
Today's action was a continuation of a match that started on March 4 but was suspended due to rain.
At the time the match was initially halted, UT trailed, 1-0, after a loss at No. 4 singles. Alabama had already claimed first sets at three other courts, so the Lady Vols faced an uphill climb.
At No. 1 singles, Alabama's Mary Ann Macfarlane put the Crimson Tide up 2-0 by holding serve against Natalie Pluskota. Macfarlane entered the day up 5-3 in the second set after winning the first, 6-2.
Taylor Lindsey also began the day serving for the match at No. 6 singles and was able to put UA up, 3-0.
Tennessee (16-6, 8-2) battled back but was unable to overcome the Tide's advantage. Freshman Millie Nichols notched her 25th victory of the year at No. 5 singles, 6-4, 7-5, over Antonio Foehse. Alabama was able to clinch the victory with a win at No. 3 singles in a hard-fought match between Kata Szekely and Courtney McLane.
In doubles action, which was held after singles, UT posted an impressive sweep of one of the SEC's best doubles lineups.
Rosalía Alda moved into sole possession of fifth place in school history with her 107th career doubles victory, teaming up with Maria Sorbello to earn an 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles. Jennifer Meredith and Kata Szekely were victorious for the 19th time in 20 tries this season, defeating the No. 80-ranked tandem of Antonia Foehse and Mary Anne Macfarlane, 8-5, to clinch the doubles point.
UT will close its regular season against No. 8 Georgia on Saturday in Knoxville. First serve is scheduled for 12 p.m. ET.
Get interactive with Lady Vol tennis! Follow the Lady Vols on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/ladyvol_tennis or become a fan on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ladyvoltennis.
#23 Alabama 5, #16 Tennessee 2
1. #33 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) def. #32 Natalie Pluskota (TENN) 6-2, 6-3
2. #89 Alexa Guarachi (UA) def. #113 Rosalía Alda (TENN) 4-6, 7-6 (10-8), 7-5
3. Courtney McLane (UA) def. Kata Szekely (TENN) 7-6 (10-8), 6-4
4. Alex Clay (UA) def. Maria Sorbello (TENN) 6-3, 6-1
5. Millie Nichols (TENN) def. Antonia Foehse (UA) 6-4, 7-5
6. Taylor Lindsey (UA) def. Whitney Wofford (TENN) 7-5, 6-1
1. #44 Natalie Pluskota/Millie Nichols (TENN) def. #10 Alexa Guarachi/Courtney McLane (UA) 8-5
2. Rosalía Alda/Maria Sorbello (TENN) def. Alex Clay/Taylor Lindsey (UA) 8-3
3. Kata Szekely/Jennifer Meredith (TENN) def. #80 Antonia Foehse/Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) 8-5
Tennessee 16-6, 8-2 SEC; National ranking #16
Alabama 14-5, 7-3 SEC; National ranking #23
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,1,6,5,3,2)