April 17, 2014
COLUMBIA, Mo. - In the second round of the SEC Tournament, the No. 26 University of Tennessee women's tennis team fell 4-0 to No. 53 LSU Thursday afternoon.
The Lady Vols dropped to 13-12 on the year while LSU improved to 14-12 on the season.
The Lady Vols fell in the doubles point to begin the match, as LSU took a 1-0 match lead.
The freshman Canadian duo of Eve Repic and Laurence Guevremont turned 0-3, and 1-4 deficits into a 7-5 advantage ultimately going on to take the set 8-6 on court two leaving it in the hands of juniors Joanna Henderson and Caitlyn Williams. The duo had a 5-1 lead over their Tiger opponents early, but LSU clawed its way back into the match and took advantage of some UT unforced errors to come away with the 8-6 win.
LSU added to its lead in singles after Williams retired down 2-6, 0-2 on court two. The Tigers extended its lead just a few minutes later as Olivarez fell 6-1, 6-3 on court six.
Joana Vale Costa sealed the win for the Tigers with a 6-4, 6-2 win over No. 59 Eve Repic on court one completing the sweep.
The Lady Vols will await their NCAA Tournament placement, an announcement to be made on April 29 at 5:30 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
LSU vs Tennessee
Apr 17, 2014 at Columbia, Mo.
(Mizzou Tennis Complex)
#53 LSU 4, #26 Tennessee 0
1. Joana Vale Costa (LSU) def. #56 Eve Repic (UT) 6-4, 6-2
2. Noel Scott (LSU) def. Caitlyn Williams (UT) 6-2, 2-0, retired
3. Joanna Henderson (UT) vs. Abigail Owens (LSU) 6-4, 3-4, unf.
4. Laurence Guevremont (UT) vs. Ella Taylor (LSU) 3-6, 4-3, unf.
5. Brittany Lindl (UT) vs. Skylar Holloway (LSU) 3-6, 3-5, unf.
6. Gabrielle Otero (LSU) def. Victoria Olivarez (UT) 6-1, 6-3
1. Joana Vale Costa/Noel Scott (LSU) def. #56 Joanna Henderson/Caitlyn Williams (UT) 8-6
2. Eve Repic/Laurence Guevremont (UT) def. Abigail Owens/Gabrielle Otero (LSU) 8-6
3. Skylar Holloway/Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Brittany Lindl/Victoria Olivarez (UT) 8-4
LSU 14-12; National ranking #53
Tennessee 13-12; National ranking #26
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,6,1)