May 11, 2013
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - Despite earning the doubles point early on, No. 31 University of Tennessee women's tennis team fell 4-1 to host team and No. 2 ranked North Carolina in the second round of the NCAA Tournament Saturday.
The Lady Vols finish their 2013 season at 13-12 while Carolina improves to 27-3 on the season and will advance on to the Round of 16 in Champaign, Ill.
The Lady Vols began the day with a thrilling doubles victory as they took a 1-0 match lead over UNC heading into singles play.
In doing so Szekely earned her 100th career doubles victory, just the ninth Lady Vol to earn the feat.
But in singles play, UNC came out strong as Joanna Henderson fell 6-3, 6-0 on court four to No. 46 Caroline Price followed by a 6-0, 6-2 loss on court one for Brynn Boren to the country's No. 7 player Gina Suarez-Malaguti giving the Tar Heels their first lead of the day.
Tiffany Tavares fell 6-0, 6-3 on court five as UNC earned its third point of the day and a 6-3, 6-1 loss by Sarah Toti on court six ended the Lady Vols NCAA run.
A couple of the Lady Vols will return to action when Brynn Boren and Kata Szekely take part in the NCAA Singles/Doubles Championship beginning on May 22. The duo has been seeded in the top-8 in the country in doubles and will both participate in the singles championship.
#2 North Carolina 4, #31 Tennessee 1
1. #7 Gina Suarez-Malaguti (UNC) def. #24 Brynn Boren (UT) 6-0, 6-2
2. #49 Zoe De Bruycker (UNC) vs. #35 Kata Szekely (UT) 6-3, 5-0, unfinished
3. #39 Whitney Kay (UNC) vs. Caitlyn Williams (UT) 7-5, 2-0, unfinished
4. #46 Caroline Price (UNC) def. Joanna Henderson (UT) 6-3, 6-0
5. Lauren McHale (UNC) def. Tiffany Tavares (UT) 6-0, 6-3
6. Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Sarah Toti (UT) 6-3, 6-1
1. #5 Brynn Boren/Kata Szekely (UT) def. #58 Caroline Price/Whitney Kay (UNC) 8-6
2. Joanna Henderson/Sarah Toti (UT) def. Lauren McHale/Laura Slater (UNC) 9-8 (3)
3. Gina Suarez-Malaguti/Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Caitlyn Williams/Jesse Grace (UT) 8-5
North Carolina 27-3; National ranking #2
Tennessee 13-12; National ranking #31
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,1,5,6)
UNC advances to NCAA Round of 16