Oct. 25, 2013
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The University of Tennessee women's tennis team started the Tennessee Fall Invitational off with singles success Friday afternoon winning six of seven singles matches on the day at the Goodfriend Tennis Center.
"Singles went really well for us today," said co-head coach Mike Patrick. "We're proud of all their efforts. I was really pleased with Jo playing another quality player. It's the first time she's played in flight one for us. On that higher level, she raised her game and did a great job for us."
"The five freshmen also did a super job today," continued Patrick. "They have their ups and their downs, but their hard work is paying off."
The dual-meet style tournament started off with doubles action for the Lady Vols as they took on SEC foe Kentucky.
Juniors Joanna Henderson and Caitlyn Williams defeated No. 32 Caitlin McGraw and CeCe Witten in flight one doubles action handedly, 8-3. The Lady Vols fell 8-2 in flight two and 8-4 in flight three doubles play.
"For doubles, we'll try to come up with a new game plan for tomorrow, maybe some new teams, we're still experimenting," said Patrick. "We've got a lot of freshmen who are still learning doubles play, so we'll try to get that fixed over the next few days, but I liked the way they competed."
Tennessee went up against NC State in singles action following the conclusion of doubles play where they went on to win six of their seven matches on the day.
Henderson kept the winning action rolling with a 6-4, 7-5 victory over No. 45 Joelle Kissell in the flight one singles position. At flight three, Eve Repic took down Rachael James-Baker 6-2, 6-3 while Brittany Lindl earned a 6-3, 6-0 win from the flight four slot.
At flight five singles, Laurence Guevremont downed Natalia Janowicz 6-4, 6-0, at six Victoria Olivarez defeated Sophie Nelson 6-0, 6-4 and from flight seven Ashlee Boles beat Taylor Zaytoun 6-2, 6-3.
The Lady Vols will return to action at the Tennessee Fall Invite on Saturday afternoon when they face NC State in doubles play at 1 p.m. followed by singles against Ohio State at the Goodfriend Tennis Center.
Tennessee vs. Kentucky - Doubles
1. No. 56 Joanna Henderson/Cailtyn Williams, UT, def. No. 32 Caitlin McGraw/CeCe Witten, UK, 8-3
2. Edmee Morin-Kougoukreff/Kelsey Dieters, UK, def. Eve Repic/Laurence Guevremont, UT, 8-2
3. Aldila Sutjiadi/Kirsten Lewis, UK, def. Brittany Lindl/Tiffany Tavares, UT, 8-4
Tennessee vs. NC State - Singles
1. Joanna Henderson, UT, def. Joelle Kissell, NCSU, 6-4, 7-5
2. Liza Fieldsend, NCSU, def. Tiffany Tavares, UT, 6-7, 6-3, 6-1
3. Eve Repic, UT, def. Rachael James-Baker, NCSU, 6-2, 6-3
4. Brittany Lindl, UT, def. Christy Sipes, NCSU, 6-3, 6-0
5. Laurence Guevremont, NCSU, def. Natalia Janowicz, 6-4, 6-0
6. Victoria Olivarez, UT, def. Sophie Nelson, NCSU, 6-0, 6-4
7. Ashlee Boles, UT def. Taylor Zaytoun, NCSU, 6-2, 6-3