Jan. 16, 2014
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The University of Tennessee women's tennis team will kick off 2014 at the Virginia Winter Invitational at the Boyd Tinsley Courts on January 18-20.
Action will begin on Jan. 18 vs. the host team of No. 13 Virginia at 10 a.m. and will continue throughout the weekend. The Lady Vols will face No. 39 VCU/Marshall on Sunday beginning at 10 a.m. and will conclude the weekend vs. No. 58 Utah on Monday morning at 8 a.m.
- No. 23 Tennessee will take on No. 13 Virginia, No. 39 VCU, No. 58 Utah and Marshall this weekend
- The meet will be set up in a dual format, however each day's match will not count toward the team's overall record
- Tennessee has two ranked singles players in No. 53 Eve Repic and No. 99 Joanna Henderson, and a ranked doubles teams in No. 43 Joanna Henderson/Caitlyn Williams.
- Saturday, January 18 - 10 a.m. No. 31 Tennessee vs. No. 13 Virginia
- Sunday, January 19 - 10 a.m. No. 31 Tennessee vs. No. 39 VCU/Marshall
- Monday, January 20 - 8 a.m. No. 31 Tennessee vs. No. 58 Utah
- The Lady Vols begin the season ranked in a tie for 31st in the nation with Memphis.
- Co-Head Coaches Mike Patrick and Sonia Hahn-Patrick begin their 17th season together leading the Lady Vols. They have compiled a 282-158 record together.
- The Lady Vols begin the spring season with two athletes ranked in singles, and two athletes ranked in doubles play.
- The Lady Vols have six fresh faces on the team this season in freshmen Ashlee Boles (Murfreesboro, Tenn.), Laurence Guevremont (Montreal, Quebec), Brittany Lindl (Panama City, Fla.), Victoria Olivarez (Virginia Beach, Va.), Ambika Pande (Gurgaon, India), and Eve Repic (Oakville, Ontario).
- Tennessee boasts a diverse squad that represents four different states, two provinces of Canada and four different countries.
- The Lady Vols will face some stiff competition this weekend in No. 11 Virginia, No. 39 VCU, No. 58 Utah and Marshall
- Virginia is ranked in a tie for No. 13 heading into the 2013 season and boasts four players ranked in the top-100 of the ITA singles rankings, including the No. 11 player in the country Julia Elbaba. Danielle Collins (No. 28), Rachel Pierson (No. 43) and Stephanie Nauta (No. 85) round out the ranked players.
- Virginia also has a doubles pairs ranked, coming in the top 10, at No. 8 (Elbaba/Pierson)
- Last season Virginia made it to the third round of the NCAA Tournament falling 5-0 to SEC stronghold Texas A&M
- Utah is ranked No. 58 in the country heading into the spring season.
- The Utes have one ranked singles player in No. 107 Tereza Bekerova.
- The Utes missed out on the NCAA Championship last season, snapping a three-year appearance at the national tournament
- Select members of the No. 39 ranked Virginia Commonwealth team will face off against the Lady Vols this weekend.
- The Rams will combine with select members of Marshall to form one team at the tournament. VCU has one ranked player in No. 81 Yukako Noi entering the spring season
- The Lady Vols have recently faced the Rams defeating them 4-0 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament last season in Chapel Hill
- The Hurd will combine with select members of VCU to form one team at the tournament.
- Tennessee has competed against Marshall just one time in years past, a 4-0 NCAA Tournament win in Knoxville in 2002, the year the Lady Vols advanced to the semifinals of the NCAA Tournament.