Jan. 17, 2013
- No. 23 Tennessee will take on No. 11 Virginia, No. 13 Northwestern and No. 34 Utah this weekend
- The matches will be the first of the spring season for the Lady Vols who, individually, saw much success during the fall portion of the season.
- Tennessee boasts two ranked singles players in No. 23 Brynn Boren and No. 25 Kata Szekely, and two ranked doubles teams in No. 12 Boren/Szekely and No. 41 Joanna Henderson/Caitlyn Williams.
- Saturday, January 19 - 10 a.m. No. 23 Tennessee vs. No. 34 Utah
- Sunday, January 20 - 10 a.m. No. 23 Tennessee vs. No. 11 Virginia
- Monday, January 21 - 10 a.m. No. 23 Tennessee vs. No. 13 Northwestern
- The Lady Vols begin the season ranked 24th in the nation.
- Co-Head Coaches Mike Patrick and Sonia Hahn-Patrick begin their 15th season together leading the Lady Vols. They have compiled a 269-146 record.
- The Lady Vols begin the spring season with two athletes ranked in singles, and two athletes ranked in doubles play.
- Brynn Boren and Kata Szekely are ranked in the top-25 in singles with Boren coming in at No. 23 and Szekely notching the highest ranking of her career at No. 25.
- On the doubles side, Boren/Szekely combined for a No. 12 ranking, while sophomores Joanna Henderson and Caitlyn Williams enjoy their first ranking of the 2012-13 season at No. 41.
- The Lady Vols will face some stiff competition this weekend in No. 11 Virginia, No. 13 Northwestern and No. 34 Utah
- Tennessee and Virginia have met 10 times in the past in dual meets with the Lady Vols holding the 7-3 edge, although Virginia has won the last two meetings, including both in 2012.
- The two teams have met in Charlottesville just two times, once during the regular season, a 4-3 win for the Lady Vols, and last season during the NCAA tournament, a 4-1 victory for the Cavs.
- Virginia is ranked No. 11 heading into the 2013 season and boasts three players ranked in the top-50 of the ITA singles rankings, including the No. 4 player in the country
- Virginia also has two doubles pairs ranked, both coming in the top 10, one at No. 5 and one at No. 10.
- Last season Virginia made it to the third round of the NCAA Tournament falling 4-1 to ACC conference foe Duke.
- The Lady Vols and Utah have met just once in the past, a 1991 meeting in Salt Lake City, which the Lady Vols lost 4-5.
- The meeting came just four years into Mike Patrick's tenure at Tennessee.
- Utah is ranked No. 34 in the country heading into the spring season.
- The Utes boast three ranked singles player and the country's No. 23 ranked doubles team.
- Last year, Utah, like the Lady Vols, fell in the second round of the NCAA Tournament 4-0 to Miami in Coral Gables, Fla.
- UT and Northwestern have met six times in the past, with the series record sitting at 3-all.
- The duo has previously faced-off in Charlottesville, a 4-3 victory for the Lady Vols last season.
- The Wildcats are ranked No. 13 in the country at the beginning of the 2013 season.
- Despite their high team ranking, Northwestern has just one player ranked in the ITA singles and one doubles pair ranked at the beginning of the year.
- Last season, Northwestern reached the third round of the NCAA Tournament dropping a 4-1 match to Stanford.
- The Lady Vols are beginnin the spring season on the road for the first time since the 2011 season.
- The Lady Vols boast a 25-11 record in season openers, but are just 9-6 on the road in the first match of the spring.
- The Lady Vols have met Virginia twice in spring season openers, both on neutral sites. The first in 1980 in Blacksburg, a 5-4 victory.
- The second meeting between the two teams came last season in New York City, a 4-3 Virginia win.
IN SEASON OPENERS