Feb. 14, 2013
TENNESSEE VS. INDIANA AND OHIO STATE
The No. 25 University of Tennessee women's tennis team will play its first home matches of the season at the Goodfriend Tennis Center when No. 54 Indiana and No. 55 Ohio State come to town this weekend.
The Lady Vols will take on the Hoosiers on Friday at 5 p.m. followed by a 1 p.m. Sunday matinee with the Buckeyes at the Goodfriend Tennis Center.
FIRST UP FRIDAY
SECOND UP SUNDAY
Tennessee vs. Indiana
- The Lady Vols lead the all-time series with Indiana 17-13 in a series dating back to 1979. The two teams have met annually since 1986.
- In Knoxville, Tennessee has a 10-4 series lead and have won the last nine matches at home against the Hoosiers
- The Lady Vols are on a two-game win streak over Indiana and have won five of the last six matches against the Hoosiers. The last two wins have come by a 5-2 margin on Feb. 12, 2001 in Knoxville and Feb. 17, 2012 in Bloomington.
Tennessee vs. Ohio State
- The two teams have met 16 times in the past with Tennessee leading the series 15-1.
- The Lady Vols have won the last 12 meetings between the two teams and are undefeated in Knoxville, 6-0.
- The last time out in Knoxville, Tennessee swept Ohio State 7-0 on March 23, 2011. Last year, UT earned the 4-3 win over the Buckeyes on Feb. 19 in Columbus.
- The Lady Vols continued their four-game road trip to begin the 2013 season by traveling to No. 16 Michigan and No. 18 Notre Dame their last time out on Feb. 1 and 3
- Tennessee dropped both matches on the weekend by close 4-3 scores
- UT picked up its first doubles point of the season on Friday afternoon against Michigan and the then-No. 12 doubles pair of Brynn Boren and Kata Szekely swept their compeition on the weekend by 8-5 and 8-2 scores.
MOVIN' ON UP
- The newest polls are out and the doubles duo of Boren and Szekely have jumped from No. 12 in the country all the way to No. 3! The ranking is the highest of Szekely's career and for Boren jets her to the top of the country where she was ranked No. 2 in the nation alongside Sarah Toti last season for the week of Feb. 16, 2012.
- As a team, the Lady Vols stayed put at No. 25 this week.
- On the singles side of things, Boren moved from No. 23 in the country to inside the top-20 at No. 18, tying the highest ranking of her career (Preseason 2012). Szekely slid from No. 25 in the country to No. 34.
- Every dual match the Lady Vols have taken part in this season has come against a ranked opponent
NO. 54 INDIANA
- Tennessee and Indiana will meet for the 31st time in the series between the two teams. The Lady Vols hold a 17-13 series lead.
- The Lady Vols have a 10-4 lead in Knoxville and have won the last nine matches on their home turf.
- Indiana has no players ranked in singles and just one doubles pair ranked, Leslie Hureau and Sophie Garre who are ranked 44th in the country.
- The Hoosiers are off to a perfect 8-0 start to the season, but will face their first ranked opponent in Tennessee, Friday. They started the season with five-straight 7-0 sweeps of the competition dropping just two points all year.
- IU is 46-2 in singles matches during dual play and holds a 23-1 mark in doubles in those same matches.
NO. 55 OHIO STATE
- The Lady Vols and Ohio State have met 16 times in the past with UT holding the 15-1 advantage.
- Tennessee is undefeated at home against the Buckeyes with a 6-0 advantage and have won the last 12 meetings between the two teams.
- Ohio State has two players in the singles rankings, No. 52 Kelsey Dieters and No. 93 Fidan Manashirova. No OSU doubles tandems are ranked.
- OSU traveled to Knoxville in the fall for the Tennessee Fall Classic
- During the dual season, Ohio State is off to a 4-2 start winning its first four matches, but have fallen in back-to-back matches against No. 17 Nebraska and Kentucky by 4-2 and 4-3 scores respectively.
NEWS AND NOTES
- Kata Szekely has won 74 career singles matches, and 85 career doubles victories. Her 85 doubles wins places her in 14th on the Lady Vol All-Time Career Doubles Wins list. Next on the list to beat are Natalie Pluskota and Olympian Manisha Malhotra who earned 88 doubles victories during their time as Lady Vols. Pluskota and Szekely earned 17 doubles victories as a tandem.
- Szekely and Boren have combined for a 23-4 doubles record this season. Since dropping their first match in dual play back on Jan. 26, the duo has won three straight to improve to a .852 winning percentage in the 2012-13 season.
- The duo has combined for three doubles tournament titles at the USTA/ITA Ohio Valley Regionals, the Tennessee Fall Classic and the UVA Winter Invite. Szekely has also earned the singles title at the Ohio Valley Regional and the Tennessee Fall Classic while Boren earned the singles title at the UVA Winter Invite.
- Sophomore Sarah Toti has returned to action, mostly in doubles play, after tearing her ACL last season on March 25 against Arkansas. She did partake in one singles match this season at the UVA Winter Invite.