March 4, 2011
By Donnie Conley, Media Relations Student Assistant
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The No. 18-ranked University of Tennessee Lady Vol tennis team's match at No. 34 Alabama was halted after one hour due to storms in the area.
Alabama's indoor courts are currently under construction, meaning that the match couldn't be moved indoors. After waiting for three hours, the team's agreed to suspend the match until a later date.
SEC rules state that if the match is to be resumed tomorrow, it will have to begin before 10 a.m. CT. Both teams are hoping to get the match in tomorrow morning, but it hinges on Mother Nature's willingness to cooperate. Tomorrow's forecast calls for greater than a 70 percent chance of thunderstorms during that time.
If UT and Alabama are unable to play tomorrow, the match will be rescheduled and resumed at a later date. Because of weather concerns, singles matches were played first this afternoon. Tennessee took the first set at No. 2 and 5 singles from Rosalía Alda and Millie Nichols, respectively. The Crimson Tide won the first sets at No. 1, 4 and 6. The first set at court No. 3 was tied, 5-5, between Kata Szekely and Courtney McLane.
Fans are reminded to follow the Lady Vols on Twitter at www.twitter.com/UTLadyVols. Become a fan of Lady Vol Tennis on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ladyvoltennis.
No. 18 Tennessee vs. No. 34 Alabama
1. No. 29 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) vs. No. 53 Natalie Pluskota (UT) 6-2, 1-2, 15-0 (UA serving)
2. No. 69 Alexa Guarachi (UA) vs. No. 102 Rosalia Alda (UT) 4-6, 30-15 (UT serving)
3. No. 116 Courtney McLane (UA) vs. Kata Szekely (UT) 5-5, 15-15 (UA serving)
4. Alex Clay (UA) vs. Maria Sorbello (UT) 6-3, 2-0, 15-15 (UA) serving)
5. Antonia Foehse (UA) vs. Millie Nichols (UT) 4-6, 1-0, 0-15 (UA serving)
6. Taylor Lindsey (UA) vs. Whitney Wofford (UT) 7-5, 30-30 (UA serving)