March 5, 2011
By Donnie Conley, Media Relations Student Assistant
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The No. 18-ranked University of Tennessee Lady Vol tennis team's match at No. 34 Alabama was officially suspended after the teams attempted to play again this morning.
Today was a continuation of a match that began yesterday but was called due to bad weather.
Per SEC rules, the match had to begin by 10 a.m. local time this morning. Alabama's indoor courts are currently under construction, meaning that the match couldn't be moved indoors. The teams attempted to get the match in, but the rain persisted and ultimately, the decision was made to resume the match at a later date.
Alabama led 1-0 at the time play was halted thanks to a win at No. 4 singles.
Because of weather concerns, singles matches were played first. Tennessee took the first set at No. 2 and 5 singles from Rosalía Alda and Millie Nichols, respectively. The Crimson Tide won the first sets at No. 1 and 6. The first set at court No. 3 was tied, 5-5, between Kata Szekely and Courtney McLane.
The Lady Vols are back in action at Auburn tomorrow at 2 p.m. ET.
Fans are reminded to follow the Lady Vols on Twitter at www.twitter.com/UTLadyVols. Become a fan of Lady Vol Tennis on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ladyvoltennis.
No. 34 Alabama 1, No. 18 Tennessee 0
1. No. 29 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) vs. No. 53 Natalie Pluskota (UT) 6-2, 5-3
2. No. 69 Alexa Guarachi (UA) vs. No. 102 Rosalia Alda (UT) 4-6, 3-2
3. No. 116 Courtney McLane (UA) vs. Kata Szekely (UT) 6-7, 0-0
4. Alex Clay (UA) def. Maria Sorbello (UT), 6-3, 6-1
5. Antonia Foehse (UA) vs. Millie Nichols (UT) 4-6, 2-3
6. Taylor Lindsey (UA) vs. Whitney Wofford (UT) 7-5, 5-1