March 7, 2013
TENNESSEE VS. MISSISSIPPI STATE & OLE MISS
The University of Tennessee women's tennis team will finish out its five-match home stand this weekend when Mississippi State and Ole Miss come to Knoxville.
The Lady Vols start the weekend off on Friday, March 8 at 5 p.m. against Mississippi State followed by a meeting on Sunday, March 10 at 1 p.m. against Ole Miss.
UT is looking for their first SEC victory of the season, and are looking forward to getting to work on the outdoor courts at Barksdale Stadium for the first time in 2013.
UT vs. Miss. State Last Five
- March 11, 2012 - Starkville - W, 7-0
- April 1, 2011 - Knoxville - W, 7-0
- April 4, 2010 - Starkville - W, 7-0
- March 6, 2009 - Knoxville - W, 5-2
- April 17, 2008 - Auburn (SECs) - W, 4-0
UT vs. Ole Miss Last Five
- March 19, 2012 - Oxford - L, 5-2
- April 3, 2011 - Knoxville - W, 5-2
- January 31, 2011 - Knoxville - W, 5-2
- April 24, 2010 - Athens (SECs) - W, 4-3
- April 2, 2010 - Oxford - L, 5-2
- The Lady Vols hosted their SEC home opener against Georgia last Saturday, March 2
- Tennessee battled in doubles play, but Georgia came away with the doubles point taking an early 1-0 lead.
- Brynn Boren tied the match up at 1-1 with her singles victory at the No. 1 spot, but Georgia won five of six singles en route to a 6-1 victory
- The win marked Georgia's first win in Knoxville since 2009
- Every dual match the Lady Vols have taken part in this season has come against a ranked opponent
- The Lady Vols and Mississippi State have met 37 times in the past with Tennessee holding a 33-4 series advantage
- UT is 14-1 at home against the Bulldogs with the last loss in Knoxville coming on March 29, 1985
- The Lady Vols have won the last eight meetings between the two teams dating back to April 9, 2006. The last three meetings have resulted in 7-0 shutouts at the hands of Tennessee.
- The Bulldogs are off to a 5-4 start to the 2013 season but enter the match with Tennessee on a two game skid dropping SEC meetings to Auburn and Alabama.
- This marks back-to-back games that the Lady Vols have played the Bulldogs after taking on Georgia last weekend.
- The Lady Vols and Ole Miss have met 41 times in the past with Tennessee holding the 25-16 edge in the series
- At home, Tennessee is 13-5 and has won the last three meetings in Knoxville
- The Lady Vols are 7-3 in the last 10 meetings with Ole Miss falling in their last two trips to Oxford and recording their last home loss on April 7, 2006 in Knoxville.
- The Rebels have a 2-6 record entering the weekend earning wins over just Illinois and Washington. They are currently on a three game losing streak dropping their first two meeting of the year, like Mississippi State, to Auburn and Alabama.
- Mississippi State does not have any players ranked in the most recent ITA Rankings
- Ole Miss has one player ranked in the singles, and a doubles pair in the top-50
- Caroline Rhode-Moe is ranked No. 39 in the country entering the match with the Lady Vols in singles.
- Rhode-Moe teams up with Marija Milutnovic for a No. 46 doubles ranking.
No. 50 OLE MISS
OPPONENTS IN THE RANKINGS
- After achieving their highest ranking as a doubles duo the week of Feb. 12 at No. 3, Brynn Boren and Kata Szekely dropped a couple of spots to No. 5 even after two more doubles wins two weekends ago.
- As a team, the Lady Vols dropped down to No. 57 after the weekend off of competition, despite two wins over ranked teams.
- On the singles side of things, Boren moved from No. 18 in the country to just outside the top-20 at No. 21. Szekely slid from No. 34 in the country to No. 43, but is currently on a three-match win streak.
NEWS AND NOTES
- Kata Szekely has won 76 career singles matches, and 87 career doubles victories. Her 87 doubles wins places her in 14th on the Lady Vol All-Time Career Doubles Wins list. Next on the list to beat are Natalie Pluskota and Olympian Manisha Malhotra who earned 88 doubles victories during their time as Lady Vols. Pluskota and Szekely earned 17 doubles victories as a tandem.
- Szekely and Boren have combined for a 25-5 doubles record this season posting a .833 winning percentage in the 2012-13 season.
- Another Lady Vol doubles tandem of Caitlyn Williams and Joanna Henderson earned a big doubles win last weekend over No. 34 Lilly Kimbell and Maho Kowase with an 8-2 victory. It marked the first win over a ranked team for Henderson and the fourth of William's career.
- The duo has combined for three doubles tournament titles at the USTA/ITA Ohio Valley Regionals, the Tennessee Fall Classic and the UVA Winter Invite. Szekely has also earned the singles title at the Ohio Valley Regional and the Tennessee Fall Classic while Boren earned the singles title at the UVA Winter Invite.
- Sophomore Sarah Toti has returned to action, mostly in doubles play, after tearing her ACL last season on March 25 against Arkansas. She did partake in one singles match this season at the UVA Winter Invite.