March 21, 2013
TENNESSEE VS. KENTUCKY & VANDERBILT
KNOXVILLE - This weekend the University of Tennessee women's tennis team will return to the confines of the Goodfriend Tennis Center and Barksdale Stadium for a little rivalry action with Kentucky and Vanderbilt.
The Lady Vols will take on the Wildcats Friday night at 5 p.m. followed by a 10 a.m. match against Vanderbilt on Sunday, the first of a women's/men's doubleheader at the Tennis Center.
UT vs. Kentucky Last Five
- April 1, 2012 - Lexington - W, 6-1
- April 22, 2011 - Knoxville (SECs) - W, 4-0
- April 11, 2011 - Knoxville - W, 6-1
- March 14, 2010 - Lexington - W, 7-0
- April 10, 2009 - Knoxville - W, 7-0
UT vs. Vanderbilt Last Five
- March 30, 2012 - Nashville - L, 6-1
- May 15, 2011 - Knoxville (NCAAs) - L, 3-4
- March 13, 2011 - Knoxville - W, 5-2
- May 15, 2010 - Knoxville (NCAAs) - W, 4-1
- April 23, 2010 - Athens (SECs) - W, 4-2
- The Lady Vols headed out on their first SEC road trip of the season when they traveled to No. 32 South Carolina and No. 4 Florida last weekend.
- Despite dropping the doubles point against the Gamecocks, the Lady Vols rallied in singles play and earned a comeback 4-3 victory over SC Friday night
- On Sunday, the Lady Vols faced No. 4 Florida on their home courts
- Brynn Boren and Kata Szekely picked up their fourth straight doubles win, but the Lady Vols fell in a shortened 4-0 game against the Gators.
- With one win this weekend, Kata Szekely and Brynn Boren would reach the 30 win plateau. As a doubles tandem, Boren and Szekely would become just the third UT tandem, playing all doubles matches together in a season, to hit 30 wins. Paula and Peta Kelly achieved the feat four times during their careers from 1979-82. The last duo to do so were Vilmarie Castellvi and Agnes Wiski who won 30 matches together in 2002.
- Sunday's match will be the first part of a women's men's doubleheader at the tennis complex. The Lady Vols will kickstart the day with a 10 a.m. match against Vanderbilt while the men will conclude the day with a 2 p.m. match against the cross-state rivals.
- Ten of the 11 dual matches the Lady Vols have taken part in this season has come against a ranked opponent
- The Lady Vols hold a 23-15 series edge over the Wildcats in a series that began back in 1977
- Despite having a 13-6 series lead in Lexington, UT leads by a hair in Knoxville 8-7
- Tennessee has won five straight matches over Kentucky and the last four in Knoxville dating back to 2007
- The Wildcats are currently 12-5 (.706) on the season, but just 3-3 in SEC play sitting in fifth place in the SEC East behind the Lady Vols
- Last weekend, UK dropped a 4-3 decision to Ole Miss before sweeping Mississippi State 7-0
- The Lady Vols hold a 33-21 series lead over the Commodores
- In Knoxville, Tennessee has won nearly 80 percent of the time with a 19-5 record
- Vanderbilt has won the last two matches in the series, however the Lady Vols have taken the last three regular season matches in Knoxville
- Vandy is currently 11-6 on the year and 4-2 in SEC play.
- Last weekend, the Commodores defeated Mississippi State 6-1 at home followed by a 5-2 loss to Ole Miss.
NO. 46 KENTUCKY
No. 16 VANDERBILT
- After achieving their highest ranking as a doubles duo the week of Feb. 12 at No. 3, Brynn Boren and Kata Szekely inch closer to the No. 1 spot moving from No. 5 to No. 4 in the nation this week.
- As a team, the Lady Vols improved from 44th in the nation to 28th after defeating then-No.32 South Carolian and falling to No. 4. Florida on the road.
- On the singles side of things, Boren moved from No. 21 in the country to No. 20. Szekely improved from No. 43 in the country to No. 40, after her two wins this past weekend.
OPPONENTS IN THE RANKINGS
- The only individual ranking for the Wildcats comes in singles as Nadia Ravita is ranked 38th in the country. Kata Szekely faced off against Ravita at the Tennessee Fall Classic defeating her 6-4, 6-4
- The Commodores have two singles players ranked in the top-75 in the country with No. 46 Lauren Mira and No. 74 Georgina Sellyn. Boren has defeated both players this season already at the USTA/ITA Ohio Valley Regional defeating Sellyn in three sets while ousting Mira 5-7, 6-1, 7-5.
- On the doubles side, Mira has paired up with Courtney Colton for the No. 29 doubles team in the nation.
NEWS AND NOTES
- Kata Szekely has won 79 career singles matches, and 91 career doubles victories. Her 91 doubles wins places her in sole control of 11th place on the all-time doubles wins list. She needs just four more victories to enter the top-10 (Agnes Wiski 1998-02 - 95 career wins)
- Szekely and Boren have combined for a 29-5 doubles record this season posting a .853 winning percentage in the 2012-13 season, their next win will be their 30th of the season
- Another Lady Vol doubles tandem of Caitlyn Williams and Joanna Henderson have started SEC play undefeated in doubles action earning a big doubles win over No. 34 Lilly Kimbell and Maho Kowase (UGA). It marked the first win over a ranked team for Henderson and the fourth of William's career. The continued the success this past weekend.
- The duo of Szekely and Boren have combined for three doubles tournament titles at the USTA/ITA Ohio Valley Regionals, the Tennessee Fall Classic and the UVA Winter Invite. Szekely has also earned the singles title at the Ohio Valley Regional and the Tennessee Fall Classic while Boren earned the singles title at the UVA Winter Invite.
- Sophomore Sarah Toti has returned to action, mostly in doubles play, after tearing her ACL last season on March 25 against Arkansas. She did partake in one singles match this season at the UVA Winter Invite.