April 14, 2012
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The eighth-seeded Tennessee Lady Vol tennis team will face ninth-seeded Auburn in the opening round of the SEC Tournament at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, April 19, in Oxford, Miss.
The Lady Vols' (13-11, 4-7 SEC) most recent win came against Auburn, a 4-3 decision in Knoxville on April 6. It marked Tennessee's 21st-consecutive win in the series, its longest winning streak over any opponent in UT history.
UT is 30-6 all-time against the Tigers, including a 3-1 mark in SEC Tournament matches.
The winner of Thursday's match faces top-seeded and second-ranked Florida on Friday at 7 p.m. ET.
Tennessee's season has been marred by injuries, but the Lady Vols have been stellar when healthy. The Big Orange is 12-3 when playing with a complete lineup, including six Top 25 wins.
In five of the last six years, Tennessee has won at least two matches at the SEC Tournament and hasn't lost its initial contest in the conference tournament since 2005.
The Lady Vols have advanced to the SEC Championship match in each of the last three years.
Auburn (8-12, 3-8 SEC) closed its regular season by losing its last six matches and eight of its final nine.
#22 Tennessee 4, #63 Auburn 3 - APRIL 6, 2012
1. #29 Natalie Pluskota (UT) def. #118 Jen Pfeifler (AU) 6-1, 6-3
2. #28 Brynn Boren (UT) def. Emily Flickinger (AU) 7-5, 6-2
3. #49 Kata Szekely (UT) def. Plamena Kurteva (AU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Jackie Kasler (AU) def. Joanna Henderson (UT) 5-0, ret.
5. Paulina Schippers (AU) def. Jesse Grace (UT) 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (8)
6. Auburn by default
1. #18 Natalie Pluskota/Kata Szekely (UT) def. Emily Flickinger/Jackie Kasler (AU) 8-2
2. Brynn Boren/Jesse Grace (UT) def. #36 Jen Pfeifler/Paulina Schippers (AU) 8-4
3. Auburn by default
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2); Singles (6, 4, 1, 3, 2, 5)