April 18, 2013
TENNESSEE AT SEC TOURNAMENT
KNOXVILLE - The University of Tennessee women's tennis team has earned the five seed in the SEC Tournament and continue play on Friday April 19 at 12 p.m. ET/11 a.m. CT
After defeating host team Mississippi State 4-0 in the second round of the tournament Thursday, the Lady Vols will face off against Alabama in the quarterfinal round of the tournament.
UT vs. Alabama
- Series Record UT Leads, 30-15
- Knoxville - 15-6, Tuscaloosa - 12-6, Neutral - 3-1
- April 12, 2013 - Tuscaloosa - L, 2-4
- April 18, 2012 - Knoxville - L, 1-6
- March 7, 2011 - Tuscaloosa - L, 2-5
- March 7, 2010 - Knoxville - W, 5-2
- April 3, 2009 - Tuscaloosa - W, 5-2
UT vs. Alabama Last Five
UT vs. Alabama (SECs)
- Series Record UT Leads 1-0
- April 19, 2007 - Lexington - W, 4-0
- The Lady Vols began the SEC Tournament with a 4-0 sweep of host team Mississippi State in the second round Thursday
- The win marked the fifth straight sweep of the Bulldogs and the 10th straight victory over Mississippi State
- Tennessee improved their SEC Tournament record to 4-0 over Mississippi State with the win
- As a team, The Lady Vols have flip flopped in and out of the top-25 in the past few weeks, this week they are just outside at No. 29 in the country after dropping two of three matches last weekend.
- After tying their highest ranking as a doubles duo two weeks ago at No. 3, Brynn Boren and Kata Szekely slid down one more spot from fourth to fifth in the nation.
- On the singles side of things, Boren moved down to No. 24 in the country from No. 21 while Szekely improved from No. 36 in the country to No. 31.
- Over the weekend, senior Kata Szekely won each of her singles matches and in doing so, reached the 30-win plateau on the season
- With the wins, Szekely became the sixth Lady Vol to record 30 singles wins and 30 doubles wins in the same season achieving the feat for the eighth time in Tennessee women's tennis history
- Szekely currently has 30 singles wins and 35 doubles wins on the year
- Lady Vols in the 30-30 Club:
- Peta Kelly, 1979 - 33 singles wins, 41 doubles wins
- Paula Kelly, 1980 - 38 singles wins, 46 doubles wins
- Paula Kelly, 1981 - 40 singles wins, 37 doubles wins
- Crystal Cleveland, 2001 - 33 singles wins, 36 doubles wins
- Vilmarie Castellvi, 2002 - 40 singles wins, 31 doubles wins
- Crystal Cleveland, 2003 - 33 singles wins, 33 doubles wins
- Caitlyn Whorisky, 2010 - 33 singles wins, 40 doubles wins
- Kata Szekely, 2013 - 30 singles wins, 36 doubles wins
- With their win against Kentucky, Kata Szekely and Brynn Boren reached the 30-win plateau.
- The duo currently has notched 36 doubles wins on the season, a tie for ninth in the UT Record book on the Season Doubles Wins chart with Crystal Cleveland (2001 - 36 wins)
- Szekely and Boren are one win away from moving up to a tie for seventh place with Paula and Peta Kelly, 1981 (37)
- As a doubles team, Boren and Szekely became just the third UT tandem, playing all doubles matches together in a season, to hit 30 wins.
- Paula and Peta Kelly achieved the feat four times during their careers from 1979-82.
- The last duo to do so were Vilmarie Castellvi and Agnes Wiski who won 30 matches together in 2002.
- The Lady Vols have earned SEC Weekly honors three times this season.
- The most recent honor came for rookie Tiffany Tavares who was named the SEC Freshman of the Week this week after her 2-0 singles performance last weekend helping Tennessee to a sweep of their opponents.
- Tavares earned the third point of the match for UT on Friday night helping the team to a 6-1 victory and captured the match-winning point Sunday against Vanderbilt
- Other Lady Vols to earn the honor include Brynn Boren (March 13) and Kata Szekely (Feb. 20)
- Eighteen of the 22 dual matches the Lady Vols have taken part in this season have come against a ranked opponent
- The Lady Vols and Crimson Tide will meet for the 46th time Friday.
- Tennessee holds a 30-15 series edge over Alabama and a 1-0 edge in the SEC Tournament
- The Crimson Tide is currently on a three-match win streak over the Lady Vols, including a 4-2 victory last Friday in Tuscaloosa.
- Alabama finished the regular season with a 18-4 record, 10-3 in the SEC, and earned the fourth seed in the tournament.
NO. 8 ALABAMA
OPPONENTS IN THE RANKINGS
- Alabama has four players ranked in the ITA Singles poll with No. 29 Mary Anne Macfarlane leading the pack followed by No. 47 Alexa Guarachi, No. 111 Maya Jansen and No. 113 Natalia Maynetto.
- The Crimson Tide also have a top-10 doubles team in Guarachi and Macfarlane who are ranked sixth in the nation as well as No. 85 Jansen and Antonia Foehse
NEWS AND NOTES
- Kata Szekely has won 86 career singles matches, and 98 career doubles victories. Her 98 doubles wins places her in sole control of ninth place on the all-time doubles wins list as she passed Vilmarie Castellvi (99-03, 97 wins) this weekend. She now needs seven more victories reach eight place (Alison Ojeda 1998-02, 105 career wins)
- Szekely and Boren have combined for a 35-6 doubles record this season posting a .829 winning percentage in the 2012-13 season
- Another Lady Vol doubles tandem of Caitlyn Williams and Joanna Henderson started SEC play undefeated in doubles action earning a big doubles win over No. 34 Lilly Kimbell and Maho Kowase (UGA). It marked the first win over a ranked team for Henderson and the fourth of William's career. The duo suffered its first loss at Florida, but bounced back with three straight victories this past week
- The duo of Szekely and Boren have combined for three doubles tournament titles at the USTA/ITA Ohio Valley Regionals, the Tennessee Fall Classic and the UVA Winter Invite. Szekely has also earned the singles title at the Ohio Valley Regional and the Tennessee Fall Classic while Boren earned the singles title at the UVA Winter Invite.