Feb. 9, 2012
Feb. 9, 2012
Akron, OH /Seattle, WA
- In a final tune-up opportunity prior to the SEC Indoor Championships, most of the Vols and Lady Vols will be in northern Ohio this weekend to compete in the Akron Invitational at Stile Field House on Saturday.
- Akron's Stile Field House features a six-lane, oversized 300-meter track that is nearly identical to the one at Kentucky's Nutter Field House, where the SEC meet will be held Feb. 24-26.
- Vol junior Chris Bodary and Lady Vol senior Brittany Sheffey will not be accompanying their teammates to Akron. Instead, they'll be in Seattle, Wash., taking part in the Flotrack Husky Classic at the University of Washington's Dempsey Indoor.
- Bodary and Sheffey are slated to run 5000-meter races on Friday night. There are several sections of 5K races that will be contested, beginning at 5:30 p.m. Pacific/8:30 p.m. Eastern. Sheffey will run in the women's invitational section, while Bodary will run in men's section three.
Noting The Big Orange
- Justin Hunter - Men's Long Jump (1st team) [injured/expected to miss 2012 season]
- Martinique Octave - Women's 4x400mR (2nd team)
- Chanelle Price - Women's 800m (1st team), DMR (1st team)
- Kianna Ruff - Women's 4x400mR (2nd team)
- Brittany Sheffey - Women's DMR (1st team)
- Nijgia Snapp - Women's DMR (1st team), 4x400mR (2nd team)
- Ellen Wortham - Women's Pentathlon (1st team), DMR (1st team), 4x400mR
Returning NCAA Indoor Scorers
- 6. Chanelle Price - Women's 800m
- 8. Justin Hunter - Men's Long Jump [injured/expected to miss 2012 season]
- 8. Ellen Wortham - Women's Pentathlon
- 8. DMR - Chanelle Price/Ellen Wortham/Nijgia Snapp/Brittany Sheffey
Returning SEC Indoor Champions
- Ashley Harris - Women's DMR
- Chanelle Price - Women's 800m, DMR
- Brittany Sheffey - Women's DMR
Other Returning SEC Indoor Scorers
- 2. Terry Benson back from Men's DMR
- 3. Brittany Sheffey - Women's Mile
- 3. Ellen Wortham - Women's Pentathlon
- 5. Justin Hunter - Men's Long Jump [injured/expected to miss 2012 season]
- 5. Nijgia Snapp - Women's 800m
- 5. Women's 4x400mR - Wortham/Octave/Snapp/Ruff are back
- 6. Joe Franklin - Men's 800m
- 6. Kianna Ruff - Women's 800m
- 6. Ellen Wortham - Women's High Jump
- 6. Jessie Harrison - Women's Weight Throw
- 7. Chris Bodary - Men's 5000m
- 7. Robert Rasnick - Men's Pole Vault
- 7. Men's 4x400mR - Deaundra Dailey/Jarael Nelvis/Varick Tucker are back
- 8. Terry Benson - Men's 60m Hurdles
- 8. Chase Brannon - Men's Pole Vault
- 8. Aslynn Halvorson - Women's Shot Put
- 8. Kia Jackson - Women's Long Jump
- Jackie Areson - Women's Distances (2011 NCAA Indoor 5000m champ; 2011 SEC Indoor 3000m, DMR champ; All-American/SEC Indoor Runner of the Year)
- Liz Costello - Women's Distances (2011 SEC Indoor 5000m champ; 2011 SEC Outdoor 5000m, 10000m champ; All-American, SEC Indoor Co-High Point Scorer)
- Dentarius Locke - Men's Sprints (2011 NCAA Indoor All-American in 60m; 2011 NCAA Outdoor All-American in 100m, 200m; 2nd, SEC Outdoor 100m; 3rd, SEC Outdoor 200m; SEC Outdoor Freshman Runner of the Year)
- Peter Sigilai - Men's Middle Distances (2nd, SEC Indoor DMR; 3rd, SEC Indoor 800m)
- Michael Spooner - Men's Distances (4th, SEC Outdoor 10000m, 8th, SEC Outdoor Steeplechase)
Tennessee Preps For SEC Championships By Visiting Akron U's Oversized Oval
* UT will swing into action on Saturday, with Blue Division field events and races beginning at 10 a.m., Gold Invitational field events starting at 2 p.m. and Gold Invitational running events getting underway at 3:45 p.m.
* In addition to Tennessee and a number of Mid-American Conference schools, Akron will be hosting Big Ten teams Ohio State and Penn State.
Bodary, Sheffey Looking For Good 5K Times At Flotrack Husky Classic
* Lady Vols Jackie Areson and Liz Costello, who have since graduated, turned in phenomenal showings at the 2011 Husky Classic. Areson reset the school record to 15:39.81, while Costello turned in the No. 2 school mark at 15:48.50. Costello's effort also bested the previous UT record of 15:53.12, set by Areson in 2010.
Lady Vols 17th This Week In USTFCCCA National Indoor Rankings
* The Lady Vols are No. 17 this week after debuting at 17th on Jan. 24 in the USTFCCCA National Rankings and dropping to 18th in the Jan. 31 poll. The Vols remain unranked.
Big Orange NCAA Qualifiers/Top 20 National-Listers
* Already qualified for the NCAA Championship meet with the distance medley relay team, senior Chanelle Price punched her indoor ticket in the 800 meters for the third time in her career with a third-place, 2:04.25 readout at the New Balance Collegiate Invitational in New York City on Feb. 4. It was the fastest indoor 800 time she's run as a Lady Vol outside the NCAA and SEC meets.
* The Lady Vol distance medley relay unit earned its way to the NCAA meet on Jan. 27. The tandem of Chanelle Price, Ellen Wortham, Nijgia Snapp and Brittany Sheffey turned in a time of 11:02.74 to finish second behind Oregon at the Texas A&M Mondo Challenge. That mark met the NCAA auto qualifying standard with the fifth-fastest mark ever by a UT quartet and the best run in January.
* Annie Alexander was Tennessee's first NCAA indoor automatic qualifier of the 2012 season on Jan. 21, tossing the shot a school-record 58 feet and one inch at the Auburn Invitational.
* Other Lady Vols ranked in the nation's top 20 in their respective events are Nijgia Snapp (8th, 800m, 2:05.49), Ellen Wortham (9th, 400m, 53.49), Brittany Sheffey (16th, mile, 4:40.28) and the 4x400m relay combo of Ellen Wortham, Brittany Jones, Price and Ruff (17th, 3:38.18).
* Vols in the national top 20 include Chase Brannon (14th, pole vault, 17-5 1/2) and Matthew Hoty (18th, shot put, 60-0 1/4).
* The 2012 NCAA Indoor Championships will be held March 9-10 at the Jacksons Indoor Track in Nampa, Idaho. It features a 200-meter, Mondo surface, banked oval and eight-lane sprint/hurdle straightaway down the middle of the track.
Roster Additions Are Bolstering Vols
* Tennessee has added two new members to the men's team this week, one of whom will be competing at the Akron Invitational this weekend.
* Arnez Hardnick, a transfer from Grambling, is expected to run the 60- and 200-meter dashes on Saturday. He has bests of 7.00 and 22.64 in those events and has run 10.79 (100m) and 21.80 (200m) outdoors.
* Another new addition to the squad is true freshman Antonio Carter. A middle distance/long sprinter, he is expected to redshirt indoors. He has PRs of 1:53.46 in the 800m and 48.95 in the 400 meters.
* UT added two freshmen sprinters to the roster in January. Rookies Jamol James and Michael Williams began competition at the Kentucky Invitational on Jan. 13-14 and are both key contributors to the squad.
Looking Back At The New Balance Collegiate Invitational
* Chanelle Price automatically qualified for the NCAA meet with a 2:04.25 readout in the 800 meters that ranks her No. 5 nationally. Teammate Nijgia Snapp ran 2:05.49 and stands No. 8 on that list.
* Ellen Wortham ran the 400m in a career-best 53.49, moving her to No. 6 all-time at UT and No. 9 in the NCAA.
* Brittany Sheffey covered the mile in a personal-best 4:40.28 for the No. 4 UT mark all-time and the No. 16 clocking in the nation this season.
* Vol rookie Jamol James lowered his 60m PR to 6.74 in taking fifth in the consolation final.
Tennessee At A Glance