March 20, 2012
- Tennessee opens the 2012 outdoor schedule in Starkville, Miss., as Mississippi State plays host to the SEC/Big Ten Challenge on Friday, March 23.
- Tennessee will join Ole Miss and Mississippi State to represent the SEC, while Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State (men only), Purdue and Wisconsin will carry the banner for the Big Ten.
- Field events get underway at Carl Maddox Track at 9 a.m. Central time (10 a.m. ET), while running events are slated to begin at 1:50 p.m. CT (2:50 ET).
- The meet will feature a conference vs. conference scoring format, with the top-six places in each event earning point totals of 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 and 1, respectively.
Noting The Big Orange
- There are three meets at the end of the season for which Tennessee's student-athletes are preparing as they undertake the rigors of the outdoor campaign.
- The SEC Outdoor Championships are slated for May 10-13 in Baton Rouge, La.
- The NCAA East Preliminary Round meet is scheduled for May 24-26 in Jacksonsville, Fla. Athletes must qualify for this meet to earn the right to attempt qualification for the NCAA Outdoor Championships.
- For the second year in a row, the NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships will be held at Drake University Stadium in Des Moines, Iowa. The dates are June 6-9.
- After returning from Starkville, Tennessee will gear up to compete in the UCLA Dual at the Bruins' Drake Stadium on March 31.
- The Vols and Lady Vols will play host to their first home meet of the season on April 7, as five squads join the Big Orange for the Tennessee Challenge at Tom Black Track at LaPorte Stadium.
- Akron, Carson-Newman, East Tennessee State, Louisville and North Carolina A&T will be in town for the Tennessee Challenge, which features field events beginning at 9 a.m. and running events getting started at 12:30 p.m.
- On April 11-14, the 46th-annual Sea Ray Relays will take place on the UT campus, beginning with the combined events at 1 p.m. on Wednesday and noon on Thursday. Friday action gets underway at 12:15 p.m., while Saturday's brand new Sea Ray Showcase is set to start at noon.
Brand New "Sea Ray Showcase" Set To Debut In 2012
- Saturday at the Sea Relays will be different this season, as the Sea Ray Showcase features a two-hour window that includes only the top men's and women's heats and sections for nine events.
- Being contested during the Sea Ray Showcase will be the 200m, 1500m, 800m, 400m hurdles, 400m and 100m as well as the distance medley, 4x100m and 4x400m relays.
- Tennessee's seniors also will be recognized on the track during a brief ceromony at 1:45 p.m. on Saturday.
- In addition to the showcase events, a full slate of field events will be taking place on Saturday, beginning with the men's hammer throw at 8:45 a.m.
- Immediately after the showcase, the meet climaxes with a bevy of relay races, running from 2:10 to 5:45 p.m.
The Goals Before Them
Complete Meet Notes