April 5, 2012
April 7, 2012 | 9 a.m. ET
Tom Black Track at LaPorte Stadium | Knoxville, Tenn.
- The Big Orange men and women will play host to their first home track & field meet of the 2012 campaign on Saturday, as the Tennessee Challenge takes place at Tom Black Track at LaPorte Stadium.
- Joining UT in the meet will be Akron, Carson-Newman, East Tennessee and Louisville. North Carolina A&T was originally scheduled to attend but will not make the trip.
- Field event action gets underway at 9 a.m. with the men's hammer, while races on the oval start at 12:30 p.m. with the women's 3000m steeplechase. The final event of the meet is the men's 4x400m relay, which is scheduled to begin at 4:15 p.m.
- Admission is free, and parking on campus should be plentiful.
Noting The Big Orange
- Tennessee will have a lone representative in California this weekend, competing at the Stanford Invitational. Chris Bodary is slated to run the 5000 meters on Friday, but the senior's section and start time have not been finalized.
- Bodary ran a 10K race at that meet in 2011, finishing 22nd in section two in a career-best 30:00.33.
Lady Vols, Vols On The NCAA East Qualifying List
- Annie Alexander (wSP, 56-5 1/4) and Ellen Wortham (w400mH, 57.27) have No. 1 marks on the NCAA East Preliminary Round qualifying list. Participants in the NCAA East meet compete for the chance to advance to the NCAA Outdoor Championships.
- Other top-10 ranked UT athletes on the NCAA East list include Annie Alexander (3rd, wDT, 174-10), Brittany Jones (4th, w200m, 23.27), Brittany Sheffey (4th, w1500m, 4:22.55), Matthew Hoty (8th, mSP, 59-9 3/4), the women's 4x100m relay (8th, 44.44), the men's 4x100m relay (9th, 40.09), Tavis Bailey (10th, mDT, 176-4) and Brittany Jones (10th, w100m, 11.47).
- The 2012 NCAA East Preliminary Round meet will be held May 24-26 in Jacksonville, Fla.
Current UT/SEC Leaders
- Brittany Jones (w200m, 23.27), Ellen Wortham (w400mH, 57.27) and Annie Alexander (wSP, 56-5 1/4) have the top SEC marks in their events through last weekend.
- Jarael Nelvis (m200m, 20.83), Brittany Sheffey (w1500m, 4:22.55), Matthew Hoty (mSP, 59-9 3/4), Annie Alexander (wDT, 174-10) and the w4x100mR (44.44) have the No. 2 marks in their events.
Brand New "Sea Ray Showcase" Set To Debut In 2012
- On April 11-14, the 46th-annual Sea Ray Relays will take place on the UT campus, beginning with the combined events at 1 p.m. on Wednesday and noon on Thursday. Friday action gets underway at 12:15 p.m., while Saturday's brand new Sea Ray Showcase is set to start at noon.
- Saturday at the Sea Relays will be different this season, as the Sea Ray Showcase features a two-hour window that includes only the top men's and women's heats and sections for nine events.
- Being contested during the Sea Ray Showcase will be the 200m, 1500m, 800m, 400m hurdles, 400m and 100m as well as the distance medley, 4x100m and 4x400m relays.
- Tennessee's seniors also will be recognized on the track during a brief ceromony at 1:45 p.m. on Saturday.
- In addition to the showcase events, a full slate of field events will be taking place on Saturday, beginning with the men's hammer throw at 8:45 a.m.
- Immediately after the showcase, the meet climaxes with a bevy of relay races, running from 2:10 to 5:45 p.m.
Chris Bodary Competing At Stanford On Friday
Complete Meet Notes